Oil Leak from Drain Plug After Switching to Full Synthetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak from Drain Plug After Switching to Full Synthetic

I usually use Valvoline 10w-30 synthetic blend, but bc I have a low mileage motor I decided to try full synthetic. I noticed that a slight amount of oil now leaks from the oil drain plug. Full synthetic has a higher flow rate than conventional oil so I know that it can leak by seals. However, I didn't expect it to leak past the drain plug and I'm pretty sure I didn't strip the bolt bc I inspected the bolt and it looks good. Has anyone else switched to full syn. and had the same problem? I am hoping that switching back to synthetic blend will prevent a leak bc I'd hate to have to replace the oil pan.

Is your crush washer/gasket still intact?
    If not you can get a crush washer at any decent ACE hardware or NAPA.

I've ran Mobile 1 10W-30 in my cars with no leak issues at all.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

This particular Z does not have an crush seal like some of the other cars I've had. I will check online or with NAPA.

Comment

Ordered a washer crush seal from the local Nissan dealer. Cost a whopping 18 cents plus a penny tax. I have found some very cheap prices there. Hopefully the seal will stop the leak.

Nissan Part No. 11128A if anyone else needs one.
        Last edited by jdmlegends; 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Comment

Working...
        X