VG30ET swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG30ET swap

Ok, I’ve done a lot of searching and have not found what I’m looking for. I’m currently swapping a VG30ET motor from a 1984 AE to a 1986 NA car. I have both vehicles whole for parts. I swapped the motor and engine harness together, crossmember and extended the alternator harness. I’m using the turbo ecu and engine harness, I’ve got the car cranking over but have no fuel and no spark. I’ve double and triple checked everything I could think of, I’m just at a loss. I don’t know what or where to look. Any help would be much appreciated. I’d also be interested in selling both cars and everything as a package for the right price!

I am not an expert on this because there are just too many variables involved when converting from NA to Turbo, and the parts are used and I have no idea where they are from or what they've been through. However, I have a hunch that it might be the Turbo ECU. I have had one of these fail on me with similar symptoms. The engine would crank over but I was not getting any fuel. I believe when there's a malfunction in the ECU, it interrupts the signal to the fuel relay. If you have a spare Turbo ECU, you could swap it out and see if she'll fire up.

Comment

Any codes from ECU?

For fuel, check the relay in the pass side pillar to see if it's clicking, they go bad. You could run the pump all the time while you are troubleshooting, then you'd just need to get spark.

You could try using the NA ECU to see if it will switch the fuel pump on and get you spark, just don't run it on the NA since it'll be lean.

What part of the country are you in?

Comment

Well he switched to the Turbo harness so I'm not sure it'd work with the NA ECU. That's why I said use try another Turbo ECU, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

Comment

Also, if you're not getting any spark you could try testing the ignition control module with a test light.

Comment

You could as a test plug in your NA ecu and see if you get fuel or/and spark. It should crank over but run like shit.If it does turn on with the NA ecu you know the turbo ecu is fried. If you have the same problem. Then something is wrong with the wiring.
            Own:
            1986 Z31 2+0 Turbo GLL ---- spearco IC ,3" exhaust, Poly everything with solid subframe and diff mounts, HX35/40 Holset Turbo, CLSD, Nistune with 1220cc FIC injectors on E85.
            1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
            Owned:
            1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
            1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
            1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
            1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
            1988 Z31 2+0 Turbo White ---- Stripped for all of its goodies.
            1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
            1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black
            2003 Nissan frontier D22 supercharded vg33e 4x4

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I’ll be able to get back to work on the Z this weekend. I’m in northern WV, hour south of Pittsburgh. I’ve done some more searching and found a few more things I need to check over again, really hoping to hear this thing fire up soon! Still would be interested in selling both cars, have all parts and titles. Can send/ post some pics if any interest

Comment

I had the same exact problem when I did my NA2T swap on my '85. I used the factory NA '85 harness, and had an '84 Turbo ECU. It wouldn't power up the EFI relay, nor the fuel pump relay. It is more than likely your ECU. Also, make sure you are running the correct O2 sensor for your harness and ECU combination. The '84-'85 Turbos ran a different O2 sensor than the '86. Just a heads up.
                1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

Originally posted by bildo4242 View Post
                  Thanks for the responses, I’ll be able to get back to work on the Z this weekend. I’m in northern WV, hour south of Pittsburgh. I’ve done some more searching and found a few more things I need to check over again, really hoping to hear this thing fire up soon! Still would be interested in selling both cars, have all parts and titles. Can send/ post some pics if any interest
                  I'm always interested in adding to my collection of Z's, please PM me pics when you get a chance. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X