Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover gasket

Well, I've come to the realization that taking off the rubber valve cover gaskets is similar to pulling teeth. I've found no effective methods to pry it off, it's coming off in tiny pieces and I feel I am doing massive damage to the seat. I actually bent part of the cover near a screw hole today trying to get it off. Anybody have any effective methods of scraping it off?

​​​
    Last edited by waynedwops42; 05-18-2019, 12:54 AM. Reason: Found a thread with an answer. https://z31performance.com/forum/z31-performance-upgrade-forums/engine-mechanical-aa/1745-valve-cover-gasket-removal
    '85 2+0 Turbo

thanks for finding that thread ... I have a new set of felpro gaskets and I was wondering how hard a job this was going to be ...

Comment

The rubber can become sticky to the head, you should be using a rubber mallet to pop them off. Using a flat head to pry them off is a big no-no

Comment

Thankfully I did no damage to the head. I will be buying a different driver side valve cover though... Seems like even the smallest dent will cause a leak
        '85 2+0 Turbo

Comment

• 88sinZ
          88sinZ commented
          Editing a comment
          This is not the case.

clean mating surfaces with iso-alcohol, use petro-jelly or 10-30 to lube with the new ring gasket. The valve cover gasket uses tabs.

retighten after a few hundred miles or heat cycles. replace the screws and use new drill bits for s good bite.
      Working...
      X