Help! How to reas engine codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How to reas engine codes

Not sure if this is the right section but can anyone help me read these ecu codes. I don’t know if it is something I need to worry about sooner or I can come back to it later

1987 Nissan 300zx Turbo
    1996 Saturn SC2

its not something that you need to be overly concerned about. however, if your car is not running the way it should, it would be a good idea to check the codes and correct whatever is malfunctioning. but its pretty basic.... so, since the codes are different throughout the Z31 years, you will need to look at the FSM for the 87T to understand what code your ECU is flashing. you can download the FSM for free here:
    www.xenonzcar.com go to the z31 section and references. in the manual it will tell you what each fault code is..... for example, 2 greens followed by 3 reds = faulty CHTS (cylinder head temp sensor)
    its old school troubleshooting technology but still pretty cool for its day.

hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bon

Comment

When it shines both lights at the same time is that the read light?

1987 Nissan 300zx Turbo
      1996 Saturn SC2

Comment

i'm not sure, as i said before, there were changes made on the different years. the 87 codes are different than the 84 codes. all you should be concerned with is which lights are flashing and how many time.
        you need to go download that service manual and read up on it. when you turn the screw, watch the two lights. it easier to do in the dark, for me it is anyways. wait for them to start flashing and follow the sequence... when one sequence is finished, wait a few seconds and another will start. once they've all gone through, they will repeat over and over again until you turn the screw back. one light is green one is red. just count each red light flash and then each green flash... (i.e., 5R 3G, 1R 3G, 3R 2G) but in order to find out what each color combo means, you have to look in that book. it tells you each flash fault in the system and how to correct it.

Bon

Comment

Working...
        X