Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mwolvinm
    replied
    Without hearing it, could be difficult to say. Sticking hydraulic lifters maybe? A loose timing belt will jump time really easily-- don't ask how I know

Leave a comment:

• LA z
    replied
    Thank you so much for confirming this. I really appreciate it. I will remove the cover to see the condition of the Timing Belt. I am having a noise issue from the front of the engine and think its the timing belt slapping on the cover, it may be loose. Sounds like a rapid clanking sound at idle only. It was replaced 8+ years ago, but I have not driven the car more than 10,000 miles. It was sitting at my dad's house in Vegas for 3 of those years. I have chased the noise with a screw driver to my ear. I placed the screwdriver to all pulley driven items, AC compressor, Alternator, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump, and AC Idler bearing. The AC Idler was bad, changed it. The clanking sound still remains. Last item to check is the Distributor (DIZZY) I have not looked at that, cuz as I am writing this, I just thought of it. Any other places? Cams? Its not a rod knock.... This I know. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• mwolvinm
    replied
    Yes-- it can be removed without removing anything other than bolts IIRC. The bottom half is covered by the crank pully.

Leave a comment:

• LA z
    started a topic Top Timing Belt Cover-removal questions

Top Timing Belt Cover-removal questions

I forget, but can the top half of the timing cover be taken off without removing any of the coolant hoses, or anything else? I remember doing something like this a while ago when I did the timing belt service, but its been a while. Thanks.
Working...
X