What is this unplugged part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this unplugged part?

Yesterday I took my Z to a car wash first time in years, I have a guy that comes to my house for hand wash but he's been super busy and I wanted to get my new cover on my dusty car. While putting a bit of wax on it I decided to clean up under the hood a little and found this part unglugged. There was nothing to plug this into and I have never seen this before. I am not a DIY'er so I probably cannot name half of the parts under the hood. This is coming out of the drivers side wheel well.

Hmmm, it might be the plug for the PRW. I don't see the PRW in your photo. It is basically the equivalent of an ignition module. I would think your car would not run at all without it though....?
    Shiro #93
    Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal

Comment

Whatis a PRW? I never saw thsi before and no real work has been done under the hood for a long time except for oil changes. This is driver side and very odd but there doesn't seem to be antyhing there to plug into

Comment

Originally posted by badq45t View Post
        Whatis a PRW? I never saw thsi before and no real work has been done under the hood for a long time except for oil changes. This is driver side and very odd but there doesn't seem to be antyhing there to plug into
        What he is calling a PRW is the ignitor. It is the component that the ecu sends an ignition signal to and it fires the ignition coil. You have one. Its the original Z31 ignitor; I see it in your photo. Its the square component above the coil with 3 wire plug.

The plug you are holding is an unused part of the harness built in for a future smog component called the AIV (air injection valve) starting in the 86 year. The 84-85 cars don't have it and usually there is a cap on that plug.
        Last edited by 707Redz31; 06-01-2023, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks completley amazing I have owned this car for 39 years and never noticed it!! Thanks 707 for the help, I was nearly giving up on this board I spend more time on Mercedes Boards now since this one and NICO are sorta dead

Comment

Glad to help. It is pretty dead. But i’m getting fed up with how crappy the Facebook pages are, with the scammers and off-topic crap. Im hoping people will see the light and come back. Any given day there are 75 guests logged on, just not members. So it proves this site still has a use.

Comment

I check in here most every weekday. I took a looooonng break from facebook, but it is active for owners of my other vehicles so i've been on there more as of late.
              I'm on the /r/300zx subreddit most of the time. I think the forum is still used more of a searchable archive than a social platform anymore.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

That plug could be for the turbo cooling fan that the 84/85 turbos had. If so, it looks like it has been removed like mine is now. What year and model do you have?
                Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
                85 Turbo, original owner, restored
                93 NA Babied

Comment

Working...
                X