Starter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Question

I'm getting my car swapped to a manual, and im wondering if the starter is interchangeable between auto and manual, and if not, im looking to find a starter, i was quoted 250 for a new one and 125 for a used one. anyone got an extra one sitting around if i need it?
    also.. just wondering if anyone has all the parts i need to do the swap...
    master clutch cyl
    hard /flex lines
    slave cyl
    thanks guys!

Apples to Apples, man.
    I just went through this...
    The Dia. of the flex plate on the auto application is the same as the Dia on the Flywheel to the manual equipped z31's.
    *If you had them apart...you'd see this.
    ~No worries.
    **As for your missing conversion parts...steer clear of used..they are inexpensive and prone at this age to have issues.
    E-Bay for the clutch master cyl. & clutch slave. Local Napa store for the lines(you bend them yourself...ez to do..and as for the clutch dampner..forget it!>>>do the 280zx front brake hose modification). The modification involves ordering/using a drivers side front brake hose off a '82 280zx. An alternate hose for the modification that can be used is one of the two rear brake hoses off of any '84-'89 z31.(I mention this because many z31 performance nuts upgrade to Stainless Steel brake hoses and the hose that works is right there!) The modification is explained in detail here:
    http://z31.com/clutchdamperremoval.shtml
    8)
    Dan
    I am here to help...

Comment

Yeah I agree with dan. Definately get all new components for the clutch system. Both slave and master cyl. are relatively cheap. I think i paid $17 for the slave and around $30 for the master.
      Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
      1986 300zx Turbo
      2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
      1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

so the starter is interchangeable... thanks!... i think my mechanic is tryin to screw me or something...
        he said a new master - 113 and slave would cost me- 56

so where did u find those for that cheap? any local auto store or special place?
        thanks again guys

Comment

Josh84t wrote: so the starter is interchangeable... thanks!... i think my mechanic is tryin to screw me or something...
          he said a new master - 113 and slave would cost me- 56

so where did u find those for that cheap? any local auto store or special place?
          thanks again guys
          :shock:
          MY GOD JOSH!
          re-read what I posted and search.
          -tooka whole 30 seconds to type into ebays search box..."nissan 300zx clutch master cylinder"
          http://search.ebay.com/300zx-clutch-mas ... ameZRC0021
          *I've boughten 4 of those now and I'm happy with the quality.....do the same for the slave!
          8)
          Dan
          I am here to help...

Comment

thanks Dan, im sry i was just double checking... im just stressed out from this mechanic guy.. i hate getting screwed over especially when i think the guy is a really good guy. hard to believe people are like that out there.

Comment

mechanics mark up parts, it's part of their business, and honestly the difference they often pay for a part is related to how fast they can have it, sure you can get it cheaper if you're willing to wait two weeks for a part, but the mechanic would have to start charging you for parking

so imo that price is inline with what you should expect for parts delivered same day or next morning

Comment

I have a spare starter off of my auto Z, just sitting. make offer if you want
                8)

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

G-E wrote: mechanics mark up parts, it's part of their business, and honestly the difference they often pay for a part is related to how fast they can have it, sure you can get it cheaper if you're willing to wait two weeks for a part, but the mechanic would have to start charging you for parking

so imo that price is inline with what you should expect for parts delivered same day or next morning
                  I dint necessarily disagree with your point here but the first thing I though of was the local parts stores being able to get me almost anything I have needed in 1 business day and most of the "ordered" parts are coming from 200+ miles away up in Portland, Tacoma or even Sacramento on one occasion.

For me I would go to your local NAPA, Schucks, PeP Boys, Auto Zone or whatever you prefer and it will probably be cheaper than the mechanic is charging and you will have it in a day or two. Installing all the clutch components is easy as Dan outlined.
                  Just stand back and throw money.
                  Performance costs money.
                  Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

thanks guys! i just picked em up for 60 total at carquest. i forgot to mention this in the first post -- im also looking for a u-joint, i looked on ebay and no luck and i asked the carquest guy and he said they dont sell em, only the whole complete unit, any advice? maybe my search tecnique sucks :?

Comment

Josh84t wrote: thanks guys! i just picked em up for 60 total at carquest. i forgot to mention this in the first post -- im also looking for a u-joint, i looked on ebay and no luck and i asked the carquest guy and he said they dont sell em, only the whole complete unit, any advice? maybe my search tecnique sucks :?
                      What type of u-joint?

Comment

i havnt been doing the work myself as ive been hella busy but i do believe its the driveshaft, i know theres 2 on there, one of em was clicking and a bit stiff.
                        oh and btw, my mechanic was trying to find new spring seats, i saw gary molitors site with the poly spring seats and i noticed he only has the rear set, and my mechanic needs the fronts as well

also i remember reading before that people who put those on say that it raised the ride height and i was wondering if it adersely affects the ride at all?

Comment

Josh84t wrote: i havnt been doing the work myself as ive been hella busy but i do believe its the driveshaft, i know theres 2 on there, one of em was clicking and a bit stiff.
                          oh and btw, my mechanic was trying to find new spring seats, i saw gary molitors site with the poly spring seats and i noticed he only has the rear set, and my mechanic needs the fronts as well

also i remember reading before that people who put those on say that it raised the ride height and i was wondering if it adersely affects the ride at all?
                          Rockford driveline makes replacement joints that fit the turbo manual driveshafts. I don't believe they are listed, you have to measure the joint and pick it from the catalogue. Any driveline shop should be able to do that for you for really cheap (under $40).

I think Gary is also working on new front spring seats, but personally I have never used front ones... ever. In fact, I don't remember any of my Z31's having them (all probably rotted and fell off).

I ran his rear spring seats and it raised the ride height about 1/4" if I recall correctly... camber was within spec using 88SS springs. The ride was exactly the same.
                          Attached Files

Comment

yup, front lower rubber spring seats currently only avail. via the dealer.
                            Rockford Driveline is the manufacturer that everyone uses for replacing the "proclaimed" UNSERVICEABLE u-joints in our driveshafts. Your mechanic would have to take measurements to verify/validate proper part replacement.
                            Instructions/specifications and parts are visible here in this link.
                            I have book marked what seems to be the most popular one spoken of, but be sure that measurements are made and the proper one ordered(yes, I repeated myself...for a reason)
                            http://www.rockforddriveline.com/shopping/430-11a.asp
                            Dan
                            I am here to help...

Comment

So how is the ride with no front spring seats? noticeable at all? did u just compress it to the housing? any weird noises?

hes had my car for a few months now and im sick and tired of handing him money... i just want to drive my car... arggg

Comment

Working...
                              X