Speedometer and odometer problems!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer and odometer problems!!

Alright, I've got an 87 turbo with analog guages. I've looked through the FSM and can't find a way to fix my problem, short of buying a new guage cluster. My speedometer and odometer have completely gone out. My tach, along with my fuel and temp guage all work. Now, I know there is a sensor or something in the engine bay that I can possibly diagnose as part of the problem, but I can't find where that is located. I'm just wondering if there is something that I can do to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the FSM I'm using is an 88 FSM. Does one year make that much difference?
    Just a poor student trying to modify his Z31...

have you checked the speedo cable???

check and report back.

Comment

I've checked under the car several times. I don't think it's the speedo cable itself. Although, I have been wrong before. :roll:

Comment

87+ are digital sensors

Comment

Yeah, I thought that 87+ have digital sensors. In fact, I'm pretty sure of that. I'll take the cluster out tonight, and check back tomorrow.

Comment

The 87's all have the same set-up as the earlier digital set-ups. Cable running from the transmission to right in front of the battery.
            88, and 89's all have a digital sensor as well. These however, eliminate the cable, and have the sensor right on the back of the transmission(same location as where the cable would go in earlier years).
            Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
            1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Its your speed sensor or pinion gear.
              Originally posted by Andrew84zx
              tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

FreeLanceBum wrote: The 87's all have the same set-up as the earlier digital set-ups. Cable running from the transmission to right in front of the battery.
                88, and 89's all have a digital sensor as well. These however, eliminate the cable, and have the sensor right on the back of the transmission(same location as where the cable would go in earlier years).
                That is nice, no more leakyness

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
                X