No announcement yet.

*%#%$% Freakin' electrical problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *%#%$% Freakin' electrical problems...

So I put a new dash in this weekend and changed my crappy, faded silver climate control with one of the later 88+ black ones and it looks SO much better. I finally have everything working until tonight I wanted to take the Z out for a cruise in the nice weather and none of my gauge lighting would work. My clock is also dead. I've checked EVERY fuse and I've already pulled everything back out again and traced all the wiring to make sure I don't have something shorting out or grounding when it shouldn't be. I'm rather lost. I've checked the leads and they're not getting power ( I.E. my clock).

Anyone have anymore ideas?
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Got the dash wire harness plugged in on both sides?
    Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
    1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

FreeLanceBum wrote: Got the dash wire harness plugged in on both sides?
      Yes, but thanks for your reply anyway.
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

one time when i installed a aftermarket stereo in a friends car i had the power wire connected to the same one as the clock and that seemed to mess up the clock and some other things untill we ran a wire from the fusebox then it was fine,could be anything though
        85 Turbo Slick Top
        __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

Does any of the other lights work, or is it just your gauges? At least you should know where to look, the area where you were working. Electrical diagnosis can be very time comsuming. So far the only car I have not completely fixed was at one time infested with rats. The wires must have tasted really good to them.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

What's weird is everything worked great until last night. Something changed while the car was sitting or something becuase they all worked when I was done a couple days ago. But yeah Chuck, its the whole rail of lighting that comes on when you turn your light switch on (the little bulbs above the climate control, etc). None of them even get power. The clock isn't getting power either so I would first assume its on the same rail of power, BUT that doesn't make sense because the clock comes on with ignition power (or so it should). I'll keep troubleshooting and thanks for the reply guys.
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

So its only interior lighting that does not work? There is lots of sharp metal behind the dash and radio, so cutting/grounding a wire is very possible, even if it worked fine at first.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
              X