sign of a bad turbo or exhaust leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sign of a bad turbo or exhaust leak?

hey guys just wondering if my turbo is about o give or i have an exhaust leak . well here goes when i drive and run around the 2500-3k rpm , i dont feel as much boost . the turbo gauge never seems to go to the plus area . always down to the negative 7 - 5 area , does this mean my turbo needs a replace or maybe i should check the exahust manifolds to check for leaks ? any information would be nice .

z31twolf wrote: hey guys just wondering if my turbo is about o give or i have an exhaust leak . well here goes when i drive and run around the 2500-3k rpm , i dont feel as much boost . the turbo gauge never seems to go to the plus area . always down to the negative 7 - 5 area , does this mean my turbo needs a replace or maybe i should check the exahust manifolds to check for leaks ? any information would be nice .
    Could mean a lot of things. Or nothing. For starters, don't rely much on your stock boost guage, Its HIGHLY innacurate. Secondly, exhaust leaks tend to sould like a pulsating hiss when the engine is under load. An easy way to tell is put in 4th or 5th gear about 15 mph and put it to the floor. If you don't hear any hissing or pulsating noises from your exhaust, you're probably okay. What you may have are boost leaks which could be causing a slower response from your turbo to create positive manifold pressure. Have you checked for boost leaks before?
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

i have not checked for boost leak , where should i start ?

Comment

z31twolf wrote: i have not checked for boost leak , where should i start ?
        The turbo. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Just depends. do you have IC or anything? Just anything you can think of that holds air pressure.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I can't even put my car in 3rd at 15mph

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

i dont have an ic , car is basiclly stock . but i see what your sayin , checking pipings and hoses around the turbo unit or areas connecting to the turbo . am i correct?

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: I can't even put my car in 3rd at 15mph
              Meh, so I exaggerated a bit. Maybe 20-25 would be better. Point is, I wanted him to create a high load, low rpm situation so he has a best chance of hearing an exhaust leak.
              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

z31twolf wrote: i dont have an ic , car is basiclly stock . but i see what your sayin , checking pipings and hoses around the turbo unit or areas connecting to the turbo . am i correct?
                Yes. Trace every bit of piping/plumbing you have from the compressor to your intake manifold. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Your car sould pull about ~20 hg at idle.
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

sorry took soo long to reply , well ya i checked the vaccum pressure and its steady at 20 hg at idle ? plumbing seems to be good , when i dont start the car the boost gauge stays at 0 but when i start it the meter drops to the negative part . im guessin its my turbo , so im going to be looking around for one

Comment

The turbo should only make boost with load. Therefore at idle or steady cruise, you'll read vacuum. Stomp the throttle at somewhere above like 2700rpm (With the car in gear and driving of course, you'll get nothing in nuetral) and you should get boost. If not then either the gauge is goobered or something else is wrong.
                    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Working...
                    X