87 T 300zx suspension ride ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 T 300zx suspension ride ??

My 87 turbo rides like a log wagon. I feel every bump and pot hole in the road. RR tracks are so bad that it rattles my teeth. I'm not joking either. I put new shocks on the car some time ago, but it did not help much. Could the springs and front struts be worn out? I have had 3 non turbos of this series and have never had any problems with the ride. The back ride controls were not connected when I bought the car. I have had it for 3 or 4 years. Any suggestions on how to fix these issues would be helpful. I also have a bad squeek when I go around a corner from one of the rear wheel areas.

Its likely the bushing, springs and struts are all worn
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

I also have a 86 ZX NT. I am wondering if I can change out the turbo springs and struts on my 87 T and install the items from my 86 part car? Where are all the bushings located that I need to check. I know that the ones on the bottom of my 87 are not in good shape.

Comment

Is there any place I can purchase a replacement bushing kit for this series 300ZX?

Comment

There are few vendors that sell replacement poly urethane replacements

Comfort - I would focus on stuts and springs -- tokico HP struts with Eibach springs are a good match. MSA has a overstock discount currently on Eibach springs. DO NOT USE TOKICO SPRINGS, they are garbage. The other main component is how these connect with the car. Both front and rear use rubber isolation in the OEM mounts. Inspect the mounting isolation and replace if neccessary.

Feeling - (1) Subframe bushings. If they are stock, they are most likely garbage and causing shifting in the entire rear subframe alignment. (2) Rear differential bushings (ASCO), the next thing that fails and the 3rd mounting point for the rear subframe. (3) Tension rods - there is a ton of play with OEM and even poly urethane bushing; braking and turning. For an 87t your best option is still poly urethane replacement. (4) Lower control arm bushing - urethane replacement

This is assuming you have inspected your front ball joints and inner and outer tie rods and are in tight working condition.
          86na - BlueZ
          Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
          85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

start with shocks and struts. if the ones on it are binding up, will likely give you the ride you are describing. had a seized strut on a mustang, easy to tell when it's just one, as you can fell the opposite corner give and absorb it. for your car, look into Bilstein, Koni, and Tokico illumina's. if you have rear spring droop - saggy rear - Moog makes OEM replacement springs that replace nicely. I enjoy my eibach set though, slight drop, comfy when crusing, yet allow confident cornering. for your car the Tokico HP shocks and struts are NLA (other than the rears cause they all interchange). Bushing upkeep is always a good idea, Poly is not a bad choice, but can transmit more road noise and harshness (subtle vibrations etc) into the cabin though.

as I said - FOR YOUR ISSUE, most likely the dampers - shocks/struts.

FYI - Na/Turbo front strut inserts are different diameters, and do not interchange.
            Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
            Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
            sigpic

Comment

I ended up putting the '86 ZX struts on my '87. It took care of 95% of my problem. Thanks for all the suggestions !

Comment

Working...
              X