Sub frame bushing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub frame bushing replacement

So I'm sure this has been asked 100's of times but my Google fu is failing me. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get the control arm bolts out? I got the nuts to come off easy enough but the bolts are stuck and it's pretty tight in there to get a punch and hammer. So what has worked for you guys?

If your replacing your sub frame bushings you dont need to remove the control arms. Just get a heavy chizle or an air hammer to pound them out.

Comment

I have control arm bushings I'd like to replace as well.

Comment

I was taking apart a very rusty subframe from a parts car. On one arm, the bushing sleeve and bolt had rusted together. When I tried to hammer the bolt out, the sleeve stayed stuck onto it and I ended up bending one of the tabs that holds the control arm. So watch out for that. I will have to cut the bolt on that one.

Also, http://300zx.tombeauchamp.com/06_04_...overhaul.shtml

Comment

Is there any way there might be a way to source the bolts local? I'm in Ohio. The outer bolts should not be a problem, but the inner ones where might I find them?

Comment

These should be the part numbers, but check them before you order. Try your local Nissan dealership
            5522610V00
            5522710V00

Comment

They kicked my ass... I ended up cutting the bolts off, then I was trying to save the sleeves to convert to poly, but even with my 20 ton press I couldn't get what was left of the bolts out of the sleeve. Only way I got it out was that my neighbor is a ferrier (horse shoes for you city folk) and had a nice forge..I stuck them in there till glowing red then hammered out the rusted bolt (still not easy).... Then cleaned up the inside with a drum grinder tool. Those were one of hardest parts of the whole build.
              Last edited by TWA88T; 05-28-2017, 08:48 AM.
              Who needs new car's, Nissan had it right 30 years ago!!!

Comment

I'm gonna have to cut the bolts as well. The cam bolts were a pain to find! I have a little propane forge for some of my smithing work so that might be the way to get the bolts out of the sleeves. I have access to a press as well. So one way or another they will come out lol.

Comment

New bolts not hard to find, Steve had them at 300zxpartsforyou, can also get them from z store New.
                  Who needs new car's, Nissan had it right 30 years ago!!!

Comment

Ok guys I have finally gotten it all apart, but I messed up the inner sleeves on the control arm bushings. Can I make them? I really don't want to spend nearly a hundred bucks on bushings that im gonna burn up anyways. So what have you guys done?

Comment

I ended up making my own. I used 1" o.d. 1/2"I.d. shackle bushings I got from ace and had my uncle turn them down on his lathe. Then opened the two inner bushings up with a 9/16's drill bit. Everything is nice and tight and it drives well. Now I have drive line issues to sort out lol.

Comment

A little late to the party, but on other cars with similar setups, I've had best success using an air hammer on the end of the bolt; partially thread the nut and insert a tiny piece of rubber hose to keep the bit centered. If the bolt gives at all, pound it back in and repeat, until it works loose. If you have access to one, an aircraft rivet gun may work even better than an air hammer because it's easier to control.

Comment

Working...
                        X