1988 300ZX N/A boucing around 28000 original miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 300ZX N/A boucing around 28000 original miles

Spent some time reviewing the suspension problems and solutions listed. Need some feedback from the Z gurus. I have a 1988 2+2 with 28000 miles. Car sat for most of its life. Bellows are rotted out. I believe there are shock issues as it bounce around going over any sort of bumps. I would even say left to right. I assume I have a poor suspension component of some sort on one corner with the action of the car. There is a ton of info on shocks and spring on here. My question is if I were to replace the stock shocks what should I use. I don't race and this car will be a sunday driver. It should handle well however. Second question is if springs are the problem what would be a good replacement.

Thanks for you help and suggestions

You have blown shocks and/or struts. You can replace with some KYBs from the local parts store for a stockish feel. The stock springs are also very soft. The best suspension upgrade is always going to be a full coilover setup, but that requires some modification to fit. 88+ Turbo springs are a decent upgrade over the NA springs if you can get them cheap. Like you mentioned the bushings are always in need of replacement too. I recommend going to a full poly set which will make a big difference too.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

• Nozzleweed
      Nozzleweed commented
      Editing a comment
      Great feedback. Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Originally posted by FlawleZ View Post
    You have blown shocks and/or struts. You can replace with some KYBs from the local parts store for a stockish feel. The stock springs are also very soft. The best suspension upgrade is always going to be a full coilover setup, but that requires some modification to fit. 88+ Turbo springs are a decent upgrade over the NA springs if you can get them cheap. Like you mentioned the bushings are always in need of replacement too. I recommend going to a full poly set which will make a big difference too.
    I'm with FlawleZ. Most likely the shock/struts. Replace them with at least some KYBs, none of that cheap Monroe bullshit. Due to the vehicle's age, most of the rubber bushings in the suspension, front and rear, are all probably rotted out. If you go so far as to replace all the bushings, then get a Prothane poly bushing kit. Pricewise, they are pretty reasonable.
    Shiro #93
    Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal

Comment

You should do springs at the same time after 30+ years of sitting and as stated they were a little soft to begin with. KYB's or Tokiko struts/shocks and new springs, I would buy all other rubber parts too while you have everything taken apart. Bushings for sure new rubber but poly will give you a better ride. When you have everything taken apart you can add Custco strut brace bar for front, that was a huge addition and made the front body roll non-existant. I also did larger sway bars but that is all according to how you want the car to handle, but it made a big difference.

Comment

The Eibachs are still around, as stated also Coilovers are the best but expect a very stiff ride.

Comment

Working...
        X