Should I replace my calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I replace my calipers?

Noticed my brakes were stuck and took apart the caliper to see all of this.

https://imgur.com/UosKGZB

https://imgur.com/jXrt43Z

https://imgur.com/ybPZsQr

The inside other than the bottom where the fluid enters was dry, the piston looks pretty corroded and the piston housing has some scuffs and that gash. I can feel the mark when I rub my finger on it. Assuming all my other calipers are in similar condition can I get away with just buying new pistons and seals or is it recommended I just buy new unloaded calipers. I also noticed the break pads were worn uneven like one was worn down slightly more than the other, should I replace those too? The rotors "seem" fine as in they aren't noticeably warped or worn uneven to touch or sight but I could be wrong. Also any reason why this happened so I can prevent it in the future?

Thanks.

Rock Auto carries calipers as low as $35. Given the importance of being able to stop when you want to, I'd recommend replacing them along with the pads. Rotors should be measured and resurfaced (turned) or replaced any time the pads are replaced.
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**
    Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
    '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
    '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
    '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.
    '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

I would replace the rotors too, for like a total of $150 at Amazon, you can get brake pads and rotors for front and back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Y2OJVX1W&psc=1
      Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
      85 Turbo, original owner, restored
      93 NA Babied

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys I'll work on getting new calipers, rotors and pads

Comment

A word of caution regarding having rotors shipped to your door--- I've had several sets shipped to me in the past, and my experience is that 70% of the time, they arrive damaged. As in coming out of the box and/or warped. Should you decide to go that route, be prepared to have lots of returns before you get a good set.
          --------------
          Legal stuff:
          **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
          '00 Corolla-- kids car.

Comment

Sucks that it now costs more to have otherwise perfectly good rotors machined than to put new ones on, such a waste

Comment

Spend the time and rebuild the calipers, spend the saved money on pads and disc.Use RockAuto for supply.

I managed to salvage late turbo twin pots for $35 ea per caliper and $14 rebuild kit. Knowing you inspected and assembled the calipers is assurance.

If all else fails order turbo calipers from local autoparts store and turn in single pot non-turbos for core.... who's gonna know.

Comment

Originally posted by 88sinZ View Post
                Spend the time and rebuild the calipers, spend the saved money on pads and disc.Use RockAuto for supply.

I managed to salvage late turbo twin pots for $35 ea per caliper and $14 rebuild kit. Knowing you inspected and assembled the calipers is assurance.

If all else fails order turbo calipers from local autoparts store and turn in single pot non-turbos for core.... who's gonna know.
                I'm subscribed and haven't received any emails telling me I got new comments ffs. Tell me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the gash in the housing will scratch up the new piston and eventually cause the thing to seize up again? If that's the case I've been eyeballing a new front set of turbo calipers with some ceramic pads to go with them anyways. The rears on the other hand look pretty bad from the outside, I haven't pulled out the piston to see the innards yet and there some kind of rubber goop or something around the pads I'm not sure what that's about. I'm most likely going to get the new front calipers anyways but if I can save the rears I will.

Comment

it kind of depends.

could you provide pictures of the gouges? possibly measurements?

remember with ceramic pads they will take much longer to heat up.

Comment

Originally posted by 88sinZ View Post
                    it kind of depends.

could you provide pictures of the gouges? possibly measurements?

remember with ceramic pads they will take much longer to heat up.
                    Let me know if it shows all 5. These are only of the driver, passenger and rear driver calipers the scuffs are all about an inch and then some. All the pistons were seized rusty/corroded.

https://imgur.com/a/b4lu9KM

Comment

All 5 pics are there. Here's the deal on the calipers though. That's a sealed pressure system. Any kind of porosity from corrosion or scratches will cause either a leak between the seal and the housing, or a tear in the seal, which will cause a leak. On top of that, it'll be difficult to see that it's leaking once its installed. Don't shortcut this one...
                      --------------
                      Legal stuff:
                      **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
                      '00 Corolla-- kids car.

Comment

the front calipers are salvageable, hit em with a wet emery cloth job.. new seals, and send it.

The rears look a bit rough, salvageable but rough towards the end of piston extension.

no need to be neurotic about it, inspect your vintage vehicle before each ride and make the call

Comment

That brake kits looks like, my are rusty and I want to freshen up. They look like they are only for Turbo with 5 lug pattern (damn Nissan not giving me 5 lugs always haunts me), anybody have any experience witht them?

Comment

Working...
                          X