Rack and Pinion Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and Pinion Recommendation

For the life of me I searched. I should have bought 3 years ago.

Someone recommended a certain company and I can't find the post.

Sucks Nissan has been discontinuing more and more parts. I get it, but still. I'd pay the $1100 retail just to have OEM!
    Jeff
    71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

I believe the only common solution left is the return and rebuild service through RockAuto.

The next Z31 i find at the u-pull yard I'm going to snag the rack if it is OEM and keep it as a spare

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Autozone has Endurance, Advance Auto has Cardone, Orielly has MasterPro, Napa and Pepboys nada. I guess the only one I've heard of is Cardone. Assuming it can be purchased.

When JY pulling, do you look for leaks mainly and any play? Seems like a big gamble.

Edit: Cardone NLA either.
      Jeff
      71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

I'd look mainly for play, as leaks may be fixable with a new seal kit (those can still be found on Ebay).

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

There have not been any OEM available for a long time. I had my local mechanic do mine about shooot probably 10 years ago, I think he got a rebuilt OEM one from a guy in Bay Area that does the rebuilds. There are companies out there that do it. Not sure what part of the country you live in but many special Z mechanics know how to get these done. I unfortunately wasn't able to get the car to LA where Z-Expert has a line on these so I had to spend more in Bay area. Try finding a local Z mechanic

Comment

There's nothing special about the z31 rack, any place that does rack and pinion or half shaft rebuilds can do it. you might have one in town and not realize it (I did.)

Comment

Rock auto contracts to Detroitaxle.com for their rebuilds.

It is highly suggested to send in your rack for rebuild or else the company will have to source a rack for rebuild (took my order 3mo w/no core)

Go direct through detroit axle. thier customer service is decent, the communication between deparments is decent, nothing astounding you will eventually get your parts in good operating order.

like Karma said, wouldn't be a bad idea to LPS a rack for storage
              Last edited by 88sinZ; 07-03-2022, 10:47 PM.

Comment

that will be a hell of a lot of shipping, there are plenty of local shops that do rebuilds, that is what my mechnic did. The buy in LA Z-Expert has a shop that he sends them to and they rebuild yours. I think my mechanic in Bay Area sent mine for a core but it was all local shops and no big shipping charge. To send one in and get it back will cost as much as the installation with shipping.

Comment

I know someone who has a brand new, unused Nissan steering rack that was originally purchased for a 1987 Turbo.
                  If you're real serious about this, I'll see if he's willing to part with it.

Comment

Originally posted by NWZ View Post
                    I know someone who has a brand new, unused Nissan steering rack that was originally purchased for a 1987 Turbo.
                    If you're real serious about this, I'll see if he's willing to part with it.
                    Just saw this. Yes can you ask?
                    Jeff
                    71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X