Updates on New Site - 01/19/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates on New Site - 01/19/13

Update on New site Folks: Test Website is Up. VBulletin is installing.
    Next, convert/import phpBB database.

Sorry for the delaying in things. I am making more progress on the site every day.

Re: Updates on New Site - 01/01/13

Who made the choice to go to vbulletin?
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

Kyle and I made the decision to migrate to vB 4. We hope to modernize the forum somewhat with new features, while making not making it intrusive or loading up on advertising.
      Chicks dig me, rust fears me.

Comment

so since the first time you announced this website, vbulletin wasn't even installed? that shouldn't take more than an hour or two...
        not that i give a crap, but thats some pretty slow progress.

Comment

Careless wrote: so since the first time you announced this website, vbulletin wasn't even installed? that shouldn't take more than an hour or two...
          A simple expression of gratitude for attempting to improve the forum shouldn't be too difficult?

:lol:
          '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
          PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

Careless wrote: so since the first time you announced this website, vbulletin wasn't even installed? that shouldn't take more than an hour or two...
            VBulletin only took 1 hour to install.
            The slowness was me having time available, DNS resolution problems between the two hosts (BIG FACTOR HERE), and now IMPEX problems trying to convert from phpBB to VB.

Careless,
            When you have a new family that takes priority #1, a high demanding job, schooling/education, and other projects around house, maybe then you might understand the slow progress.
            I suggest that you watch Disney's Bambi where you learn that "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".

Comment

so where is the new site? im kind of lost to whats happening lol
              1uz Swapped, lowered, flaked out '86 z31
              '72 Datsun 510 4dr, ka24de-T, slammed resto mod
              '84 z31 turbo, coils, wheels a.k.a the gfs weekend car
              '86 na2t parts for now a.k.a eventually will get running with a/c daily
              '83 280zx project backburner a.k.a ls turbo drag car one day
              Custom vg30et tube chassis drift exocet project

Comment

There is a temporary URL that has been created.
                Its going to be kept private for testing purposes.

Once the private site has shown to be good, we will transition the forum.

Comment

well, amreboot... I guess you're the only person on the planet with a family, a "demanding" job, and other things to do around the house. Yep.. only person in the world. Oh, and you also memorize lines from Disney movies. I guess that's probably where all your extra time goes.

re-read your original post. you said "vbulletin is INSTALLING". I.e - since the last time you announced the website was being "upgraded" you didn't even have vbulletin installed. at least that's what I got from the way you worded it. but eh, it's just easier to throw insults at people, right?

inqui-Z-tor wrote: A simple expression of gratitude for attempting to improve the forum shouldn't be too difficult? :lol:
                  you seem to not understand what i was saying either. but whatever. like i said, i don't really care but it just seems like extremely slow progress, regardless of DNS issues. at work when I encounter small problems that prevent us from doing work on remote sites, we do it locally. not only is it faster, but it can also be deployed onto the server at another point in time.

waiting for hosts to resolve issues will surely prolong the development time for something.

Comment

OK guys -

The development of the new forum has been slow - but at the end of the day, Kyle and I can't do it because we just aren't that technically capable, and Alex has had work and his Microsoft certifications to tend to. So we've done what we can with the time we have had available.

Trust me, I've been paying for two hosting packages out of my pocket for 3 months now, so I'd like to see things get tested and perform the migration as much as anyone else. Unfortunately, that has taken a while. Also - we aren't trying to load up with advertisements to generate funds, so hiring someone from outside to do this isn't really in the budget either.

We'll get the new forum tested as best we can, to deliver the best possible user experience improvement that we can - I want to make this place better as much as anyone. At this point, this forum hasn't been updated in 5-6 years, so I don't think an extra month or so will kill anyone. We are, at least, making the effort to go forward with it.

Thanks!
                    Zack
                    Chicks dig me, rust fears me.

Comment

[quote]Careless wrote:

Originally posted by inqui-Z-tor
                      A simple expression of gratitude for attempting to improve the forum shouldn't be too difficult? :lol:
                      you seem to not understand what i was saying either. but whatever. like i said, i don't really care but it just seems like extremely slow progress, regardless of DNS issues. at work when I encounter small problems that prevent us from doing work on remote sites, we do it locally. not only is it faster, but it can also be deployed onto the server at another point in time.

waiting for hosts to resolve issues will surely prolong the development time for something.
                      As already noted, perception via reading posts can be a challenge. Your experience, expertise and available resources help to shape your views. I acknowledge your authority on the technology.

I know nothing of the expertise, experience or technology available available to z31performance. So I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not financing any of these upgrades, they can take as much time as they want. They can proceed in any manner they want. If I don't like it .. I can just excuse my support or participation. Why question or complain, if it doesn't help? LOL!
                      '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
                      PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

da fu ck? Why not just debut it when its ready. ( If ever :nanan?re )

Comment

Why spend more? Buy ABC!

Comment

Good work looking forward to the new site. I've seen good and bad implementations of VB here is to hoping Best of luck
                            DD:
                            86 Black Turbo 5spd
                            The Fallen:
                            84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
                            Parting Currently:
                            86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
                            Garage Sale

Comment

Re: Updates on New Site - 01/10/13

Import of this current site's (phpbb) database has been successful. Obviously its outdated, but none the less. Its good.

I will update more everyday now.

Comment

Working...
                              X