I need a complete list of what to buy…

• I need a complete list of what to buy…

I am going to be tearing some of my motor apart to do a conversion from a VG30I to a VG30ET.

I know the conversion is possible and I am more than prepared to do it.

Will somebody here please make me a COMPLETE shopping list of the things I will need? :-D

(FYI: This is going into a 86.5 Nissan Hardbody Pickup 4x4 SE-V6)

i think your best bet is buy a turbo z31 car for cheap and use it for a parts car and then part out what u dont use
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

edicer2 wrote: i think your best bet is buy a turbo z31 car for cheap and use it for a parts car and then part out what u dont use
    I'd just like to the conversion. I don't have the money to buy a whole car.

[quote]v6hardbody wrote:
    Originally posted by edicer2
    i think your best bet is buy a turbo z31 car for cheap and use it for a parts car and then part out what u dont use
    I'd just like to the conversion. I don't have the money to buy a whole car.
    If you can't afford a turboZ31 "for cheap"
    then you can afford to do the job at all.
    The turbo swap parts if you buy them one by one will cost more than the parts car. If you get the right car and sell off what you don't need you will end up almost even.
    …and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

I've done the swap, you do practically need another car. You'll spend at least that in buying individual parts. I would be patient and buy a wrecked parts car. I got mine for $300. It was so rusted out I had a hard time lifting it up, but it worked.
    Dave
    Z31P sponsor
    800-988-4345 ext: 114
    http://www.DXDRacingclutches.com

90 Z32 Base 5spd, 05 Z33 Touring 6spd.
    SOLD- 84 Z31 NA2T GLL 5spd

Swapping the stuff into a D21 isnt very easy regardless. The Z31 plenum won't clear the firewall without modifying the firewall, no way in hell can you use the stock turbo manifold, you'll have to bash the firewall to clear the crossover pipe…
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

What mike said. I have done this swap a few times in pickups and am currently doing another in my 87 pathfinder. I will say the year of pickup you have is by far the best and easiest far as wiring goes. There's several different ways to go about the swap as well. The way I would reccomend doing it from my own personal experience is use as many truck components as you can. The stock 300zx pan wont clear in a 4x4 so stick with your truck pan and weld on an oil drain. The stock turbo location on the 300zx will only clear the fron differential IF you hack off the stock outlets turn down and weld on a new piece of pipe that clears the diff and the footwell area on the firewall. Its best to just buy a satan relocation pipe and move the turbo up where it can be seen, accesed, and not needed to be modified. The same goes for 2wd pickups! You can't run the stock wastegate configuration nor can you pull the turbo without removing the engine when you squeeze it that close to the frame rails.

Far as the crossover pipe clearance goes you can bash your firewall, cut a section out and reweld in a recess(reccomended), or make your own pipes the go under the tranny like the factory does and snake it into the engine bay. Your downpipe wont have much room to go back under the vehcile though so this again will be tight.

Go to the junkyard and acquire these items manifolds from a turbo 300zx, turbo, injectors, harness with MAF(n/a or turbo), and turbo ecu that matches your injectors. Also grab both engine brackets that bolt to the block if your going to shoe horn it between the frame rail and engine. This will only allow you to use the passenger side truck mount and you WILL have to remove the drivers side mount from the frame if you go that route. For the drivers sidemount you will use the factory turbo bracket on the block and take the passengers side bracket, flip it upside down so that both mating surfaces are paralel to eachother. You can bolt them solid to eachother or you can make a small gap and put a poly tension control rod mount in there. Then weld theother side of the bracket to the frame.

If you use a relocation pipe then you can run both truck mounts like the factory has them and you just have to make clearance for the crossover pipe like I described earlier.

Wiring is super easy, just repin your factory harness and extend the maf harness or repin the plugs that power the ecu and harness on the dash plugs.

The plumbing of the turbo is up to you and how you like to run it just keep you drain as straight as possible for the drain back to the pan.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Simple way of getting a boosted D21: Buy a KA24 D21 and a SOHC 240SX turbo kit, and something for EMS :P
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

^ been there done that! Not near as fun or fast right out of the box.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

eww KAs

nismopu wrote: ^ been there done that! Not near as fun or fast right out of the box.
    While that may be so, it involves less fab work than a VG30ET. lol

comrade_charlie wrote:
    eww KAs
    KA's are awesome.

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by nismopu
    ^ been there done that! Not near as fun or fast right out of the box.
    While that may be so, it involves less fab work than a VG30ET. lol

comrade_charlie wrote:
    Originally posted by nismopu
    eww KAs
    KA's are awesome.
    hell yea ka's > sr's :-D

all other engines > SR