Certified Muffler downpipe, o2 sensor bung size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Muffler downpipe, o2 sensor bung size question

Those of you who had a bung welded onto your downpipe, do you recall what size it was.
    It's much larger than the M18x1.5 that is typical, this is more like a m22 size. I did call CM
    and he was like...i dunno, whatever is normal i guess. The guy was no help at all.

I have tools to measure the thread pitch and can use calipers to measure the ID and with
    those two measurements should be able to find something at McMaster-Carr, but i thought
    i'd ask here just in case. Auto parts place and ACE hardware were strike outs.
    Althouth a 15/16 flare fitting for a gas line did thread in loosely at ACE. I'm just looking for a plug as of now.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

I didn't have an O2 bung welded to the downpipe - used the original in the turbo elbow. But I can attest to the eccentricity of the guy at CM. He kept asking what axle-back exhaust I was pairing with the downpipe/test pipe combo I had ordered and then started ranting on how people keep copying his exhaust components. Bit of a nutjob.
    '86 300ZXT GLL
    '78 Datsun 280Z BP
    '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Comment

are you sure it is not an AIV port
      Hmmm, Whats next?
      Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Comment

You got it,. Shromy.

It is an AIV port.

It's M24X1.5. (same thread pitch as a Toureg oil pan fitting, Dorman PN 65415, for reference)

I dug up the invoice from 2013 and i forgot i indeed ordered it with the AIV fitting. The AIV system is now deleted, i'm a dumbass.

Would it be easier to grind off the fitting flush and weld in a M18 bung than try to find a reducing bushing to M18 from M24x1.5.
        That is a unicorn fitting.

Or, does the sensor need to be in the exhaust stream, i mean if i could tap a M24x1.5 plug for M18, could the wideband be adjacent to the exhaust flow and still be accurate.
        Last edited by Z_Karma; 09-13-2016, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I like to shove the invoices in a file cabinet, never to look at them again

I've got a mild steel 18x1.25 bung from the Innovate wideband kit P/N 3839 that i'll never use - it's the tall bung, not sure if that makes a difference? cover shipping and it's yours

from what i've read ideal WBo2 placement is 18-24" downstream, with at least the same length behind it.You'd probably be better cutting away and welding in a plate and bung over the flub-up

Comment

Bung usually comes with the wideband.
            Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
            if it fails, fuck it.
            at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by 88sinZ View Post
              I like to shove the invoices in a file cabinet, never to look at them again

I've got a mild steel 18x1.25 bung from the Innovate wideband kit P/N 3839 that i'll never use - it's the tall bung, not sure if that makes a difference? cover shipping and it's yours

from what i've read ideal WBo2 placement is 18-24" downstream, with at least the same length behind it.You'd probably be better cutting away and welding in a plate and bung over the flub-up
              I'll take it man, thanks!

Can you shoot me an email to zkarma@gmail.com? I can't PM until i clean out 446 messages or something from my messages folder, cleaned out a bunch but the number isn't going down.

Comment

Working...
              X