Swapping my engine and tranny...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping my engine and tranny...

Im seriously thinking of swapping my VG30E out for either a VG30T, VG30ET, VG33T, or VG33ET, but cant find many. Ive got experience with swapping VG30DETTs, but I believe they are way to big for the z31's engine bay.

What other engines could I get about the same horsepower from besides the VG30T, VG30ET, VG33T, or VG33ET? Any of them?

And Im also looking for a manual tranny to replace my automatic one... So if the engines you suggest have trannys that would just bolt right in, that would be great too.

Subaru EA-82. 90hp of pure horzontally opposed happiness
    Funny stories!

Comment

You can fit the DET just fine and it makes buttloads of power with the right mods... quite a few in japan have them swapped in...

Cheap = VG30ET
      Less Cheap = VG33ET

Comment

Im speaking from ignorance here so dont get pissed, but what makes the vg33 more expensive to swap besides the initial cost of the used motor? Isnt everything almost the same except the displacment?
        Im asking because Im seriously considering getting a short block....
        Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

thats it , everything else is identical to the w series blocks.
          ohh and they used 10mm exhaust studs compared to 8mm used on our "early" vg heads.....

i moght cost more to get a vg33 block because theyre coming out of newer cars , maybe??

all of this has been documented on the different sites already...

Comment

thats it, everything else is identical to the w series blocks
            WRONG!

Man, so many people give out bad/wrong/incorrect information about the VG33. They are NOT identical... People saying they are cause alot of guys to go out and buy one, only to later learn that they're far from identical.

A partial list of things needed for the swap from my searchings,

VG30 crank
            VG30 oil pump
            VG30 oil pan
            VG30 oil pickup
            VG30 heads
            VG30 timing belt, tensioner, cam gears
            All VG30 accesories
            VG30 upper and lower intake

And there's more too, the oil and water passages dont line up among other differences. Do a thorough search before attempting the swap, it's not hard but dont listen to anyone who tells you they're identical because they dont know what they're talking about. You need to determine if you have the tools and skills to complete the swap because it doesn't just drop in as some would have you believe.
            http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

FOR YOU'RE VIEWING PLEASURE!

VG33 With stock 300zx turbo in a 1987 nissan maxima.

-1.5" lowering springs, suspension techniques
              -addco rear sway bar
              -VG 33 V6 motor {2001 Nissan SC froniter}
              -Q54 throttle body
              -Q45 Injectors
              -Modified Z32 fuel rails
              -400 Horse Power Axles
              -Modified U11 upper intake plennium
              -Corvette air pump for crankcase evacuation
              -J30 twin cam maxima LSD 5 speed transmission
              -Costom assembled axles
              -3 bar GM MAP sensor
              -walbro 255 ltr/hr fuel pump
              -aromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge
              -Blitz Blow off vlave
              -300ZX turbo with a high flow cone jim wolf filter
              -schnieder stage 3 race cams
              -port and polished heads
              -Blitz boost controller
              -Sport Comp Boost gauge
              -Autometer Air/Fuel gauge
              -2 gauge A piller pod
              -Johnny Race Car frount mount innercooler
              -custom crank pully
              -Haltech fuel managenment system
              -Act 6 puck unspring clutch with Extreme pressure plate

Comment

300zxt wrote:
                WRONG!

Man, so many people give out bad/wrong/incorrect information about the VG33. They are NOT
                identical... People saying they are cause alot of guys to go out and buy one, only to later learn that they're far from identical.

VG30 crank
                VG30 oil pump
                VG30 oil pan
                VG30 oil pickup
                VG30 heads
                All VG30 accesories

And there's more too, the oil and water passages dont line up among other differences. Do a thorough search before attempting the swap, it's not hard but dont listen to anyone who tells you they're identical because they dont know what they're talking about. You need to determine if you have the tools and skills to complete the swap because it doesn't just drop in as some would have you believe.
                Why would you even try to swap most of that shit to fit it in a Z31? The only problems I know of are the pan and the oil filter being too close to crossmember. Big deal, swap the pan and use a filter relocator like lots of people do anyway. Keep all the accessories and make minor changes to get them working properly with the Z31 body. IE you might need to make a power steering hose and swap connectors on the alternator depending on what it came from. That is even assuming it isn't the same connectors anyway.
                http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

300zxt wrote:
                  WRONG!

Man, so many people give out bad/wrong/incorrect information about the VG33. They are NOT
                  identical... People saying they are cause alot of guys to go out and buy one, only to later learn that they're far from identical.

VG30 crank
                  VG30 oil pump
                  VG30 oil pan
                  VG30 oil pickup
                  VG30 heads
                  All VG30 accesories

what makes you think you need all that stuff? because they may have come up with different p/n's ??

theres alot of thing that interchange between all vg's (including some fom the DE , like the crank) , yes you might have to do some fabbing or machining to some things , but overall its the same motor , the things i will give you is the oilpan/pickup , it should be different since it came from a different chassis , but its no biggie ,the correct parts should be on your car to swap....

Comment

That's just a short list of what I found some searching around to make the swap. My point being is that it's not identical as many people claim and as you suggest some fabrication work will be required.
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Vg33 = more work
                      Vg30 = less work
                      Period
                      imagination is a virtue

Comment

Working...
                      X