Driveshaft Safety Hoop - James Plans Attached

• Driveshaft Safety Hoop - James Plans Attached

For the 4th but not Final Installment of my How To Guides Today's Lesson is Drive shaft Safety Hoops

Why do you need one ?

I'm Not Familiar with US Regulation's but your modified, Road raced, Drift or Drag Car Clas Rules May require it

And its a sensible idea anyway.

You Will Need
    1x 300zx with Seats and Carpet Removed
    A Decent Length of 50x5 MS Flat Bar
    A Hacksaw or Chop Saw
    Drillbits up to 12mm
    4x M10x 1.5 or 1.25 High Tensile Bolts ( I Used 50mm and they were a bit long )
    8x Spring Washers
    8x Flat Washer
    Access to a Gas Torch or Press or Metal bender or something

Decent Places to work, Jack stands, Hand Tools Ect

Step 0.5

Download "driveshaft hoop layout1.zip" and print it out 1:1 to Scale, check the dimensions with a ruler or whatever.

Step 1

Replicate the Bends shown in the picture with your 50x5 Flat Bar , you will need heat or a press to make the lower half or you could use Careless Suggestion and score the metal so it bends easier and then weld up the scores in the steel.

Step 2

Test fit many times, use your BFH to make adjustments

Step 3

Drill Small test holes in the floor of your car Incase you fuck up like i did , Adjust position of holes as necessary

Step 4

Once you have confirmed hole position on the bodywork of the car its time to drill the steelwork , I chose to drill mine to 12.5mm or something like that so i had some on Car adjustment to get the bolts in and make sure it was sitting correctly ect.

Step 5

Use some Remaining Flat Bar to make some thick washers to sit inside the cabin, this is necessary to spread the load around in the event of a drive shaft Failure. If you do not do this step your hoop will be useless.

Step 6, paint that shit up nice and Bling.

Disclaimer

This worked totally fine for me on my 1985 Z31 Turbo, it has been road tested and works good, this safety hoop may not fit your current exhaust system, and my guide is pretty generic if you are not skilled in making your own stuff take your car and the drawing to a trusted shop to have it done.

Alternately if somebody from Z31 P wants to produce these they may do so and have full permission to use my drawings.

I am not Liable of anything bad happens to you or your car

here are Installed Pictures

85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

Nice. Gives me something to build with my new bender

I need to get mine installed.

I won mine from Branson

It can be a bit funny to install, you sort of hook the top over the drive shaft and slide it around. IMHO still better than removing the Shaft and having oil everywhere.
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____