RSB-07 Cam sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSB-07 Cam sensor

a Friend. Of mine did this to my car... very big improvement... runs better.. then my old cam senser rsb-03.

he said senser it is from. a 98 quest or a maxi.ma vg30 i forget. very good upgrade.
    1986 300ZX GLL auto non turbo

Hairyballs;314151 wrote: a Friend. Of mine did this to my car... very big improvement... runs better.. then my old cam senser rsb-03.

he said senser it is from. a 98 quest or a maxi.ma vg30 i forget. very good upgrade.
    The Crank/Cam sensor is the same in design/operation from 82-98ish. If your car runs better, its because your crank angle sensor was going bad...which wouldn't be a huge surprise as they are getting old. Newer parts are almost always likely to last longer and perform better.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

michaelp;314202 wrote: The Crank/Cam sensor is the same in design/operation from 82-98ish. If your car runs better, its because your crank angle sensor was going bad...which wouldn't be a huge surprise as they are getting old. Newer parts are almost always likely to last longer and perform better.
      Going to go with mike on this one. I have a 97 villiger distributor and cas in my z. It runs the same as it did with the original one. Yours was probably going bad
      86na2t + holset

feedback
      viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6114&hilit=andrew+gardner

Comment

I went from the rsb 06 to rsb 07, and noticed a big change, but I also did the PRW-2 swap at the same time
        Non turbo, 200K+ mile club, 60mm TB, 149WHP 168WTQ

Comment

I changed mine to the RSB-07 as well, it made an improvement. I changed from a known good part to a newer one from a junkyard car, and my idle got smoother. No difference in power, but i think the newer technology just makes it respond faster like the prw-2.
          09 Lancer ES 5 speed
          86 Z31 VG33E(NA2)T.

"I want it to sound like the pits of hell are going to engulf your face!"

Comment

michaelp;314202 wrote: The Crank/Cam sensor is the same in design/operation from 82-98ish. If your car runs better, its because your crank angle sensor was going bad...which wouldn't be a huge surprise as they are getting old. Newer parts are almost always likely to last longer and perform better.
            my cam senser... had original senser... and had 370,000 miles. nothing wrong... just change it because he said... my car... would... run bitter. and it did.

Comment

Hairyballs;314239 wrote: my cam senser... had original senser... and had 370,000 miles. nothing wrong... just change it because he said... my car... would... run bitter. and it did.
              I will experiment with it this month on my 87 beater/track slut, but I have my doubts. Z31 crank angle sensors go bad from time to time....the car can still run, it'll just have random misfires, occasional hard starts etc...just because your car ran doesn't mean there was "nothing wrong". My 87 is running a Z31 Crank Angle Sensor and runs perfectly smooth with the PRW-2, which is why I have doubts. But I'll give anything a shot and will share info I come up with, because in reality all it is is the crank angle and cylinder identification for the ECU, the ECU is what determines injector timing/pulsewidth and ignition timing.

This is the wrong section anyways, because you're providing no info on doing the swap. As I said, I'll experiment, if I determine (using a scope, data logging on the ECU, driveability etc) its an upgrade IMO, I'll gladly do a proper writeup on here.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
              - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

I have no doubts that newer parts that work on older ignition components may improve throttle response and idle stability somewhat.
                It won't be a huge difference- that's almost guaranteed, but every small improvement that is a simple part swap is worth trying rather than assuming.

If it were not for that mentality, then the PRW-2 upgrade would not be worth the 5 minutes it takes to install. But it very much is worth it.

Comment

Careless;314246 wrote: I have no doubts that newer parts that work on older ignition components may improve throttle response and idle stability somewhat.
                  It won't be a huge difference- that's almost guaranteed, but every small improvement that is a simple part swap is worth trying rather than assuming.

If it were not for that mentality, then the PRW-2 upgrade would not be worth the 5 minutes it takes to install. But it very much is worth it.
                  Yeah, I'm giving it a chance because newer parts are definitely always better. I'd like to see what I come up with, then do a proper writeup on swapping over.

Comment

the RSB 06, and RSB 07, when taken apart and measured for resistance, they are different, not sure how much different, but they are. my car is starting to have a hard start issue for some reason, so I think I will throw in my back up CAS and see if that fixes it

Comment

tatsu;314258 wrote: the RSB 06, and RSB 07, when taken apart and measured for resistance, they are different, not sure how much different, but they are. my car is starting to have a hard start issue for some reason, so I think I will throw in my back up CAS and see if that fixes it
                      All aftermarket replacement CAS' for 82-98 are exactly the same part. The resistance should be the same when in good condition I believe....have you checked FSMs for both to confirm? I'll look for the 98 Quest FSM...

Comment

I have not, I just know the resistances are different

Comment

michaelp;314260 wrote: All aftermarket replacement CAS' for 82-98 are exactly the same part. The resistance should be the same when in good condition I believe....have you checked FSMs for both to confirm? I'll look for the 98 Quest FSM...
                          All either of them say is continuity should exist....and since its just outputting a digital signal, resistance really wouldn't be an issue so long as continuity exists between the test points.

Comment

we. try'd cam senser on another friend z31. smoother idle an no dead spot in rpm. he say.

Comment

michaelp;314250 wrote: Yeah, I'm giving it a chance because newer parts are definitely always better. I'd like to see what I come up with, then do a proper writeup on swapping over.
                              Did you ever figure this out michaelp?
                              1985 300ZX Turbo- Wrecked R.I.P.
                              -Stock
                              04/87 300zx Turbo GLL- Project Car/Daily
                              -Built Heads, Cams, HX35....etc.
                              2007 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab w/Hemi- SOLD
                              -Banks Full 3in Exhaust, Edge Evolution Tuner Chip, K&N Cold Air Intake, BBK 90mm Throttle Body, Full JL Audio Sound System(speakers, amps, subs) Pioneer Touch Screen Head Unit
                              2014 Chevy Cruze Lt RS- Daily
                              -Stock 1.4T Autotragic

Comment

Working...
                              X