Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (84-86) analog to (87-89) analog- help please

Hi guys,

I bought a 87 turbo that was originally all digital stuff and an automatic. The previous owner converted the car to all to analog but he made it the 84-86 analog and installed a speedo cable and a t5 manual transmission. I want to convert it to 87+ turbo analog gauges and have acquired everything but the speed sensor stuff. I have no idea what the OE speed sensor stuff is like, how it was hooked up, or whether the original speed sensor wiring is even left on the car anymore. I am basically pretending I have a 84-86 turbo analog with a t-5 and want to upgrade to the newer analog gauges. How do i get a speed sensor to work instead of the speed cable? I have searched but I didn't see anything on this topic.

Thanks
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

And you won't find anything on this topic strangely. I did this conversion a couple months ago so here's what your gonna need.

- 87 to 89 main cluster
    - 87 to 89 pod gauges
    - 87 to 89 dash wiring harness
    - 87 to 89 analog speed sensor
    - Analog fuel level sender
    - Analog Oil Pressure sender

The speed sensor is actually very easy to install. You'll need the find the factory connector that went to the digital speed sensor by the battery and splice two wires
    to the analog gauge harness. Thats it it's pretty simple. I'll take a pic of my setup so you can see which wires go where. I should probably do a write up on this since
    no one else seems to want to.
    1988 300zx 2+2 non-turbo (First Car)(Junkyard)
    1987 300zx turbo 5-speed (Red Comet)(SOLD)
    1988 300zx non-turbo Auto (SOLD)
    1984 300zx non-turbo slicktop (Junkyard)
    1988 300zx Turbo Auto (SOLD)
    1987 300zx non-turbo 5-speed (SOLD)
    1989 300zx non-turbo 5-speed (Current Car)

sigpic

Comment

Is that the parts list I need if I want to do the same thing to my 86?

Comment

tpollingerz31 wrote: And you won't find anything on this topic strangely. I did this conversion a couple months ago so here's what your gonna need.

- 87 to 89 main cluster
        - 87 to 89 pod gauges

The speed sensor is actually very easy to install. You'll need the find the factory connector that went to the digital speed sensor by the battery and splice two wires
        to the analog gauge harness. Thats it it's pretty simple. I'll take a pic of my setup so you can see which wires go where. I should probably do a write up on this since
        Hey thanks for the advice. That would be great if you can get the pictures or write up. I have been looking FOREVER on how to do this and I have everything but the 2 things in bold from the list above. Will the speed sensor fit into a t5? Im not sure if the PO cut the original wires for the speed sensor wiring so that is why pictures would be nice thanks for the help.
        86 NA
        87 Turbo

Comment

tpollingerz31 wrote: And you won't find anything on this topic strangely. I did this conversion a couple months ago so here's what your gonna need.

- 87 to 89 main cluster
          - 87 to 89 pod gauges

A write up would be awesome I would like to do this also
          1984 300ZX - 1988 VG30T Engine, Trans, Diff, ECU
          1987 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car ), 1988 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car )
          1972 240Z -- Full restore - L28ET L6 Engine from 280zx, T-5 transmission, Rear diff from the 87
          1998 Mazda B-2500, And a lot of bikes

Comment

- 87 to 89 main cluster
            - 87 to 89 pod gauges

There is only one oil pressure sender, its the same for analog and digital.
            - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

Good to know thanks. I guess I'm just missing the speed sensor stuff then! I can't wait for the write up I'm excited to start this project.
              86 NA
              87 Turbo

Comment

Hey everyone, I wanted to let you know I've completed my write-up on the 87-89 Digital to Analog Gauges. I hope this helps anyone interested on the subject.
                Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26772
                1988 300zx 2+2 non-turbo (First Car)(Junkyard)
                1987 300zx turbo 5-speed (Red Comet)(SOLD)
                1988 300zx non-turbo Auto (SOLD)
                1984 300zx non-turbo slicktop (Junkyard)
                1988 300zx Turbo Auto (SOLD)
                1987 300zx non-turbo 5-speed (SOLD)
                1989 300zx non-turbo 5-speed (Current Car)

sigpic

Comment

thanks! ^^
                  86 NA
                  87 Turbo

Comment

awesome thanks
                    1984 300ZX - 1988 VG30T Engine, Trans, Diff, ECU
                    1987 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car ), 1988 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car )
                    1972 240Z -- Full restore - L28ET L6 Engine from 280zx, T-5 transmission, Rear diff from the 87
                    1998 Mazda B-2500, And a lot of bikes

Comment

Hey guys I'm doing the swap now myself and I cannot figure out how to add the speed sensor can someone please help me

Comment

The write up won't load for me

Comment

Working...
                        X