weird lighting problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird lighting problems.

So, I just hooked up my stereo in the z today and now my dash gauge lights dont come on. The idiot lights work but the guages themselves dont come on except when the brake pedal is depressed. Any ideas? Ill break out the meter tomorrow I guess. :?

I have an idea. You fucked up your wires while you installed your deck. :shock: Time to go back over your steps and see what you changed I guess ops:
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

thats always a possibility.

Comment

I have to agree, you probably got something shorted, pinched or tied into 12v that you shouldn't have.

That is one odd deal with the lights coming back on with the brake peddle, but if memory serves the brake light switch is a ground circuit. Some time with the FMS wiring diagrams to find the common wiring will probably help in the endeavor.

Just curious...does the stereo work?
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Yes the stereo works fine i think i may be back feeding 12vdc into the brake illumination circuit from my amp though. i didnt get a chance to check it yesterday but after looking over the fsm wiring diagram i think this is probably the case.

Comment

well, i disconnected the stereo and the amp. tried a different headlight switch assembly and still no joy. Found another wierd issue with it though. the headlights dont go up or down. if you turn them on and then hit the brake pedal they go up. turn them off and nothing. hit the brake and they go down! This is getting to be to much like my job in the navy! (Im an avionics tech)

Comment

A brake light headlamp switch? Nicely "jacked" up electronics you have there!
              Just for sh!ts, check to be sure one of your filaments in your stop lamp bulbs haven't shorted to the "park lamp" filament.
              Most likely it's in the stereo wiring and/or connector though!

Comment

I hooked up a stereo and my brake lights wouldn't work due to the wires that I hooked up. I think that i ended up running new wires for the stereo. I would check them.

Comment

Ok, well I think I found the problem. The stop lamp sensor is screwed up. I found that the tail lights were inop until you hit the breakes as well. Tag lights and all. I took apart the sensor and found it corroded slightly on the circuit card. Unfortunately the one out of my parts car is a different part, Im guessing because of the digital dash. From what I can tell from the fsm diagram its only used to detect current drops in the circuit (blown bulbs). So hopefully I can jumper it out for now and get away with it.
                  yay ohms law is fun. :roll:

Comment

My box is bad as well. Not even on my car. Just jumped the brake light portion of it. Everycar at the junkyard has a corroded circuit board as well. If you find another extra one, hit me up

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Working...
                    X