No announcement yet.

Carbon fiber trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GotFast? wrote: Grahfz, yeah lexan would be the only way to go. I bet most of the weight in the rear hatch comes from the glass. I haven't seperated the two yet to actually determine which weighs more.

Theres more to go fast then just going fast straight. I wanted a smalled turbo that wouldn't experience as much lag and to make up for it when i do go drag racing I have the nitrous kit.

The car will see atleast a couple private track days at road america and I'll probably take this car to a drift day every now and then (seeing as the 93 S13 coupe is never going to be done).

Race car doesnt always equal drag car.
    You think porsche considers the cars they produce to be drag cars? NO
    They are road cars and they come with good sized turbos. they understand that only the dumb americans need the 0-60 times instead of an all out performance machine. thats why 911 turbos lag so much they dont run a dinky stage III wheel.

I'm not going to argue with you as to what a real race car is. my argument is that the carbon fiber truck lid is a wast of money.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I bought them because well simply because I like the way CF looks not for any serious weight savings, and if you dont like that and want to call me a ricer I really dont care.

I had never compared the weight between the stock Hood & Hatch to the thier VIS Counterparts but I will if I can find someone with a stock hood and hatch lying around (I already got rid of mine) Ill head to the junkyard when I have some spare time within the following weeks.
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

Steve

I have both my stock hood and my stock hatch off my car sitting in the basement. I can easily weight those if you can weigh your carbon parts.
        ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

GotFast? wrote: Steve

I have both my stock hood and my stock hatch off my car sitting in the basement. I can easily weight those if you can weigh your carbon parts.
          Sounds good, post it up after you weigh them. I should be able to get the weights on mine in the next few days.
          2005 whore magnet

Comment

SteveZ31 wrote: I bought them because well simply because I like the way CF looks not for any serious weight savings, and if you dont like that and want to call me a ricer I really dont care.

I had never compared the weight between the stock Hood & Hatch to the thier VIS Counterparts but I will if I can find someone with a stock hood and hatch lying around (I already got rid of mine) Ill head to the junkyard when I have some spare time within the following weeks.
            And that is why this thread should have been put in this area in the first place, for "cosmetics" not really for weight savings like he is claiming.

I personally would do a carbon fiber trunk and hook if I could for cheap I think they look sick, but 500 for the hood and another 500 for the hatch. Thats a lot of cosmetic!

Steve is the hood full carbon fiber or is it a carbon skin reiforced with fiberglass?
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
              Originally posted by SteveZ31
              I bought them because well simply because I like the way CF looks not for any serious weight savings, and if you dont like that and want to call me a ricer I really dont care.

And that is why this thread should have been put in this area in the first place, for "cosmetics" not really for weight savings like he is claiming.

I personally would do a carbon fiber trunk and hook if I could for cheap I think they look sick, but 500 for the hood and another 500 for the hatch. Thats a lot of cosmetic!

Steve is the hood full carbon fiber or is it a carbon skin reiforced with fiberglass?
              Mainly they are Reinforced by Fiberglass on the underside of the Hood, but via special order they will make a full CF Hood for a little extra money. All Thier Hoods do have a CF Skeleton.
              2005 whore magnet

Comment

Not sure who made it, but the cf hood I have handled was much lighter than the stock hood. Worn out hood struts hold up the cf hood just fine. For the hatch, it seems like lexan in the stock hatch would be more cost effective to save weight.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Wow talk about a waste of money until you're running 11's...
                  http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote: [quote=SATAN]
                    Originally posted by SteveZ31

Mainly they are Reinforced by Fiberglass on the underside of the Hood, but via special order they will make a full CF Hood for a little extra money. All Thier Hoods do have a CF Skeleton.
                    If you are going to go CF, go all CF and no FB!!!
                    There's no such thing as "reinforced" with fiberglass when you are dealing with Carbon Fiber.
                    CF is stronger than FB...so if anything the CF is reinforcing the FB! The only reason why they put FB with CF is
                    because FB is cheaper for the company, while you are still paying more for that little bit of CF just for the looks. Also, the dire effects of mixing CF with FB is warpage and cracking over time. So installing such a piece would be more for cosmetic than weight saving. If $$ is an issue (and you dont care about the CF look), then go with all FB. If you are very very serious about weight saving (or even if you just like CF look) and $$ isnt an issue, go all out CF since it is lighter and stronger than FB and wont be cracking. Trust me. Dont get that expensive "cheap" CF+FB crap, even if you are only out for the CF cosmetic look...because cracked CF doesnt look good.
                    http://www.vgpowered.com
                    Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

SATAN wrote:
                      But the difference is, I am doing it for weight savings. The hatch and glass are heavy. Carbon fiber and lexan are not.

Theres not much more I can take out of this car. The only thing left in it is the engine/trans and suspesnsion.

There is no a/c, no heat, no dash, no interior, 11lb fiberglass seats and thats about it.

We all know the old racers saying "ounces add to pounds, pounds add to tens, and tens add to tenths"

Wow talk about a waste of money until you're running 11's...
                      I'll do better then that.
                      ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

the hatch isn't all that heavy. the rubber spoiler makes most of the weight.

replace the rear glass with lexan, throw away the rear wiper. and you've probably lost 50#. and then get a lightweight fiberglass spoiler.

Comment

babydude wrote: Also, the dire effects of mixing CF with FB is warpage and cracking over time..
                          babydude wrote:
                          Trust me. Dont get that expensive "cheap" CF+FB crap, even if you are only out for the CF cosmetic look...because cracked CF doesnt look good.
                          I have owned 4 VIS Hoods on 5 different cars. Only one of those 4 was full Carbon Fiber. None of them experienced any warpage or cracking. I have had one of the FB reinforced CF Hoods on my Honda which Ive had for 4+ years its been on 2 cars and has been through Cleveland Weather for the past 4 years. And there is absolutly no warpage or cracking at all. The Hood still looks and fits like it just came out of the box.

Take it from me from my personal first hand experiences with thier products. All of the products VIS makes is quality no matter if its full CF of FB reinforced CF.
                          2005 whore magnet

Comment

[quote]SteveZ31 wrote:
                            Originally posted by babydude
                            Also, the dire effects of mixing CF with FB is warpage and cracking over time..
                            babydude wrote:
                            Originally posted by babydude
                            Trust me. Dont get that expensive "cheap" CF+FB crap, even if you are only out for the CF cosmetic look...because cracked CF doesnt look good.
                            I have owned 4 VIS Hoods on 5 different cars. Only one of those 4 was full Carbon Fiber. None of them experienced any warpage or cracking. I have had one of the FB reinforced CF Hoods on my Honda which Ive had for 4+ years its been on 2 cars and has been through Cleveland Weather for the past 4 years. And there is absolutly no warpage or cracking at all. The Hood still looks and fits like it just came out of the box.

Take it from me from my personal first hand experiences with thier products. All of the products VIS makes is quality no matter if its full CF of FB reinforced CF.
                            Still cracks me up..."FB reinforced CF".
                            I just wanted to show you guys a few examples of what MAY happen. Not saying this will happen to you Steve...but it is not uncommon to CF "reinforced" with FB for the Carbon Fiber to contract over the fiberglass.

VIS Invader Hood ( crack underbody due to weak CF+FB bond)

Here's more of a Honda CF+FB (dunno of make) Classic Crack due to Warpage.

Again, not saying this will happen to yours but I'm sure VIS isn't unfamiliar with these problems. By the way, read VIS's warranty. If you install it yourself then problems like this arent covered. I'm sure VIS makes a pretty good quality CF+FB compared to the cheapy stuff out there. If I were to go this route, I'd get VIS. But I wouldnt go this rout unless I got it for free :lol: .

Good luck on your cosmetic hoods.
                            http://www.vgpowered.com
                            Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

i just can't see that spending $500 on a hatch is going to be a big difference.

you could buy a t4 compressor housing, and a t4 stage 5 wheel for about $450.

and have a much more powerful car that will more then make up for the weight.

Comment

84z31 wrote: i just can't see that spending $500 on a hatch is going to be a big difference.

you could buy a t4 compressor housing, and a t4 stage 5 wheel for about $450.

and have a much more powerful car that will more then make up for the weight.
                                I have a GT42 im not really worried about that.

Again I bought these because I like the way they look not for weight savings.
                                2005 whore magnet

Comment

Working...
                                X