Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worn out axle/half-shaft? I need a description please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn out axle/half-shaft? I need a description please!

Well it first started one day when I was changing the tranny fluid and putting my car up on jack stands(about 4 months ago). I lifted the rear end up first by the differential and the tires were just about to get off the ground and I hear a PING! sound...."eh must be the springs doing that". So I get done with the tranny fluid and take her out for a test drive and I have a gravel driveway so its a little bumpy. Well I am going down the driveway and the damn car is clunking a lot from the driver-side rear. I get out on the road and it will clunk everytime I change gears. When i get into fifth gear their is this vibration above 2200rpms and it gets worse the faster I go!

The noise occurs:

1. Over bumps.
    2. Above 2200rpms in fifth.
    3. Between 1/4 throttle and half throttle (when i hit boost the noise stops and everything is smooth). When i am coasting the noise/vibration is not there).

What I have checked:

1. Driveshaft is good.
    2. Wheel bearings are good.
    3. Solid x-member mounts are good.
    4. Shocks and springs are good.

I finally got pissed and launched it in 1st all the way up to fourth and the noise disappeared!(about a month ago)

Then I jack up my car again at the same spot (differential) yesterday because I am bringing my wheels to walmart to check some new tires mounted and PING! the noise happens again when I am jacking the car up! Shit! The damn vibration is back again!

So I check everything and the only thing I noticed is that the drivers-side halfshaft makes a little bit of a noise when I shake it. There is barely any play at all....I mean like a milimeter. Would that cause the vibration?

Ultimately I am rambling but I just want to know if you guys have had a bad half-shaft and could you describe what it sounded like? Felt like? When it started vibrating (speed, gear)?
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Diff mount?
    It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Working...
    X