GL-5 = BAD; Finding GL-4 gear oils can be a pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL-5 = BAD; Finding GL-4 gear oils can be a pain

So... I would like to make a list of oils and retailers that sell GL4 gear oil. You probably already know GL5 gear oil contains additional EP additives that will oxidize and essentially 'eat away' components of the brass baulk rings in many late-model import transmissions. This 'incompatibility with yellow metals' eventually causes hard shifting, grinding and eventually people will need to either rebuild or replace the transmission.

It is a VERY common mistake which has cost owners countless millions of $ and causes uncertainty when buying a used transmission (because miles become a poor indicator of baulk ring wear if GL-5 oil was used)...

The other day I found that getting GL4 is getting to be more and more of a pain unless you order it online. Can anybody contribute to this list of known compatible oils, and retailers who sell them? I would eventually like to make this a full list, so please contribute.

Nissan dealerships - has been reported that they carry GL-4 gear oils.
    GM/Pennzoil/other off-brand Synchromesh - Autozone, etc.
    Redline MT90/MT85 - Summit racing, local speed shops, others
    Redline Shockproof - Summit racing, local speed shops, others
    Redline 75W90 - Summit racing, local speed shops, others
    Royal Purple - Autozone, Murrays, etc.
    Amsoil
    Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4 - Amsoil sales rep, etc.

Also:
    ZSpeedPerformance wrote:
    Nissan MTF
    is the best for cold and recommended for most Nissan M/T , Not great for hard driving as it is pretty thin
    Redline MT-90
    good lube but a little thick on cold shifts
    Redline MT-85
    We have used this with good success in the newer RWD 6 Speeds, Can be used in older nissan trans also and will help with cold shifts over the MT-90
    Motul Gear 300
    , 100% ester based synthetic gear lube, One of our favorites, Good cold viscosity (shifts easy cold) Will not harm Brass (yellow) metals, syncros ect. Very high hot film strength to protect gears under abusive use, Expensive but worth it to save your trans, Esp drag racing wear gear loads are very high.

Re: Finding GL-4 gear oils can be a pain

REDLINE Manual Transmission, Manual Transaxle Lubricant (MTL)
    AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG)

I have 4 bottles of MT90 in my basement, ready for action if needed. It's are very hard to find a good GL4 only oil here, and they sure as hell don't sell any off-brand shit anywhere around here.

Comment

That reminds me I have to get some oil for my max.
      D@MN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A GANGSTA

Comment

sticky perhaps?

Comment

Shit... I just go to my local speed shop and drop my $11/qt for some RedLine they have sitting on the shelf and call it good. They mainly deal with the old hot rods and dragsters. Those guys aren't afraid of dropping serious money on their cars. That is why they can stock the full line of RedLine fluids.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

About every store besides advance/autozone/Oreilly's in town can get redline and royal purple. Only 2 places I know actually stock it, but I just ask nicely everywhere else and they order it. Even Napa can get it.

I have never paid more that $9/qt for any of redlines products. I just ask before they order it.
            "produce first.talk second."

Comment

While we are on the gear oil topic what brand do you guys think works well in colder weather?
              The reason I ask is because I am looking for oil for my Maxima and it's known for it's cold shift "crunch".

Comment

84z2+2 wrote: While we are on the gear oil topic what brand do you guys think works well in colder weather?
                The reason I ask is because I am looking for oil for my Maxima and it's known for it's cold shift "crunch".
                Redline MT90 "cured" the cold crunch in my very first NA transmission. If you are talking strictly synchro performance I think synchromesh is about the best, or so many people claim. Redline has other beneficial qualities though. My grind came back about 10-12K miles later though... when the baulk rings are worn that much, there's only so little a change to good fluid can do.

Comment

I was going to try Amsoil but I cannot find a source to get it by Friday .
                  I'm still not sure what I am going to use . :banghead Thanks For the info Jason!

Comment

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: About every store besides advance/autozone/Oreilly's in town can get redline and royal purple. Only 2 places I know actually stock it, but I just ask nicely everywhere else and they order it. Even Napa can get it.

I have never paid more that $9/qt for any of redlines products. I just ask before they order it.
                    And I've been paying over $12/qt for Redline at TF when I get damn good discounts are carquest...dammit!
                    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

I've gotten Redline MT90 from Advance before. They ordered it or something. I think you just have to get a salesmen that is willing to help you out. [strike:2psrnp2g]Got it for a good price too if I remember correctly - less than 9 bucks[/strike:2psrnp2g].

*edit*
                      Went to get some Redline MT90 from advance today. They can get it, but charge $18.50/quart. I said no thanks.

Comment

Which one is better for a 30A manual transmission....
                        Redline MT90 or Redline MTL?

I currently have Amsoil in the tranny but I had to buy it online. Redline is usually easier to find locally.
                        Shiro #443

Comment

I hooked up with a Amsoil dealer today and got a decent deal on 3 qts of GL-4 . If any one is in need of Amsoil products I can source them though him .

Comment

Has anyone ever tried or have opinions on this gear oil from CRC? Napa sells it for $33/gallon.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...PN=SL24239&S=N

Comment

Hey Raff, try Johnston Research and Performance @ 2344 So. Sheridan Way Mississauga, ON L5J 2M4 905-822-7223.. www.jrponline.com They keep it on the shelf and also carry royal purple and others... may not be the cheapest place, but it is reliable... I also run MT90 in my jeep AX-15 for the same reasons...

TO be honest, i just do a search on Redlines web site, they will tell you who carries what..

Careless wrote: REDLINE Manual Transmission, Manual Transaxle Lubricant (MTL)
                              AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG)

I have 4 bottles of MT90 in my basement, ready for action if needed. It's are very hard to find a good GL4 only oil here, and they sure as hell don't sell any off-brand shit anywhere around here.
                              Kevin
                              ---------------------------------------
                              1986 NA 5sp - Bone stock, but in good shape

Comment

Working...
                              X