Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can those who have swapped the Z32 trans state which model (NA or TT) your trans is from and which starter you're currently using? As I understand, there was a slight difference in starter spacing between NAs and TTs.

That could explain why some are getting away with a Maxima starter in place of an M30 version [or other].
    '86 300ZXT GLL
    '78 Datsun 280Z BP
    '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Comment

Originally posted by jaqattack02 View Post
      What's wrong with the stock internals? Haven't there been several documented 500hp and 600hp Z32s on the stock transmission?
      I am 627rwhp running a z32 r30a...

Comment

I'm using a NA tranny but I swapped on my Z31 30a bell. That allowed me to retain my factory flywheel, clutch and starter.
        2007 Nissan 350Z Base: 13.476 @ 103.870 MPH

1988 Nissan 300ZX Shiro Special New Setup 11.979@117.34 MPH

Comment

I'm running NA tranny, Maxima flywheel and starter. Smooth start up and equally smooth shifting.
          Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
          if it fails, fuck it.
          at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Z32na trans: z31bell, starter, Fidanza 240mm fly, Centerforce clutch, Excessive short, short throw.

86na
            88t
            13 Jetta TDI
            13 Passat SEL3.6DI

Comment

Originally posted by jaqattack02 View Post
              What's wrong with the stock internals? Haven't there been several documented 500hp and 600hp Z32s on the stock transmission?
              It used to be thought that the Z32 TT trans was bulletproof but that all went out the window when Z32 guys started reporting about their synchro issues and pivot balls and gear teeth breaking. Clutch forks bend, 3-4 shift forks break.

Other then that they are strong. But Nissan did improve it '98+ with better synchros and gears. But now with the many Z32's above 700whp and trannys breaking JWT was working on a conversion kit to use the even stronger Z33 transmission (later Z33 transmissions did not have synchro issues), I know of only one guy who has tried doing this and it was only just last year when JWT came up with this kit back in 2011.

Redline shockproof gear oil helps these trannys last longer.
              Gone - 1988 Shiro
              2004 BMW 330Ci
              2005 BMW 330i
              1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
              http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

Originally posted by NIVO View Post
                It used to be thought that the Z32 TT trans was bulletproof but that all went out the window when Z32 guys started reporting about their synchro issues and pivot balls and gear teeth breaking. Clutch forks bend, 3-4 shift forks break.

Other then that they are strong. But Nissan did improve it '98+ with better synchros and gears. But now with the many Z32's above 700whp and trannys breaking JWT was working on a conversion kit to use the even stronger Z33 transmission (later Z33 transmissions did not have synchro issues), I know of only one guy who has tried doing this and it was only just last year when JWT came up with this kit back in 2011.

Redline shockproof gear oil helps these trannys last longer.
                To be fair on my Z31 30a, I went through two sets of synchros AND two 3/4 shift forks. I suspect the synchro's were the vendors fault. The shift forks were genuine Nissan... It was the main reason I decided to move to the Z32 unit. Figured if I start breaking these they are much more plentiful, so cheaper to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzyrulez View Post
                  To be fair on my Z31 30a, I went through two sets of synchros AND two 3/4 shift forks. I suspect the synchro's were the vendors fault. The shift forks were genuine Nissan... It was the main reason I decided to move to the Z32 unit. Figured if I start breaking these they are much more plentiful, so cheaper to replace.
                  This is exactly why I went to the z32 r30a. The 3rd synchro on my z31 f30a was starting to go.

Comment

They are a few versions of the z33 transmission .The early versions 03 and some 04 models are know for soft synchros.The cd009 from 05 and 06 been the strongest one .
                    Z1 motorsport sale it as an upgrade to the cd001
                    New OEM CD009 6M Transmission
                    32010-CD009
                    New Nissan OEM 6MT will replace all 03-06 models and eliminates issues with soft synchronizers and grinding shifts. These are the latest OEM updated transmissions.

And the 07 and 08 use a different model also

Comment

When you guys say Maxima flywheel/starter which Maxima are you guys referring to? I am assuming the J30 Maxima from 89-94? We need to be more descriptive about parts and use chassis codes/years to help lower ambiguity/confusion.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                      1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                      2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Originally posted by ozzyrulez View Post
                        You guys do realize the 3/4 shift fork from the Z31 supercedes to a Z32 part number, as does the synchroes. Lots of parts for all the 30A versions supercede to Z32 late spec, aka 96+.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                        1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                        2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

I am about to get a z32 transmission, now that my stock is grinding,but not sure how is going to work with my digital dash

Comment

Originally posted by NissanEgg View Post
                            You guys do realize the 3/4 shift fork from the Z31 supercedes to a Z32 part number, as does the synchroes. Lots of parts for all the 30A versions supercede to Z32 late spec, aka 96+.
                            Well when I start breaking these they are more plentiful so I can grab up good ones for 300 bucks instead of busted up z31 30a's for 500+.

Comment

Originally posted by joselito76
                              I am about to get a z32 transmission, now that my stock is grinding,but not sure how is going to work with my digital dash
                              All digital dashes are cable driven.
                              You simply get the z32 speed sensor, take it part, remove the electronics, then install the cable driven stuff.
                              You end up making a hybrid sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by amreboot View Post
                                All digital dashes are cable driven.
                                You simply get the z32 speed sensor, take it part, remove the electronics, then install the cable driven stuff.
                                You end up making a hybrid sensor.
                                Good to know. Glad that this is easier than I anticipated.
                                Z31 owner as of 27/04/12!!! Sitting in my driveway as of 29/04/12!!!
                                Let the madness begin!

Comment

Working...
                                X