This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amreboot View Post
    I did exactly everything mentioned on this thread.
    I have the same shorten solid shift bracket.
    Rotated the speed sensor as shown.
    And I have a aluminum driveshaft for it.

Very solid setup. I love the way it shifts. Feels more like a car than a truck (pathy/xterra/frontier, etc).

Good stuff!
    Okay, I managed to find a 30A from a 88 Shiro on Ebay, but it sold before I had the money to splurge on it. So A little help please. I need a new trans I have a 90A (broken) and a 71C thats going out (grinding 2nd, 3rd, 4th). I was going to swap to a Z32 trans, but dont a have a 30A housing. I dont particularly care about speedo and stuff, this is going to be a "race" only application. Im gutting the Z and doing a 3.3 swap/build. Okay so My question is, I have a South Bend Stage 3 "Daily" Clutch and the Matching SBCNIS-4 Flywheel. These will not fit into the Z32 bellhousing, so Ive heard...??? Nobody seems to state why, or whatnot.. If someone can answer that Id appreciate it, but moreso, if I cannot use this clutch and flywheel, what do I use? Will i have to buy a z32 clutch and flywheel or the M30 Maxima? Im so confused because there's almost no information on this tranny swap. I read all the info in the OP. AMREBOOT I know you have probably the most knowledge in this area, I would greatly appreciate your help. I would love to avoid having to buy another brand new clutch and flyweel setup for this because honestly my now 2 year old South Bend Clutch and Flywheel setup only has about 3k miles on them, barely past break in... And after spending $850 on them... I will literally cry if I have to buy a whole new setup, becuz im about to dump 2k into a turbo and 2k-3k into the 3.3L build, and doing this will just set my dream build back even more. So yea, if you have to give me bad news, please break it to me lightly.

Thanks in advance guys, Especially the veterans on these forums that have done all the legwork to bring this Z community and knowledge base where it is today.
    85 300zx turbo (front end damage)
    86 300zx Swapped in ^ Turbo motor and AT2M Swap Completed

Comment

Originally posted by 1985300zxTurbo View Post
      Okay, I managed to find a 30A from a 88 Shiro on Ebay, but it sold before I had the money to splurge on it. So A little help please. I need a new trans I have a 90A (broken) and a 71C thats going out (grinding 2nd, 3rd, 4th). I was going to swap to a Z32 trans, but dont a have a 30A housing. I dont particularly care about speedo and stuff, this is going to be a "race" only application. Im gutting the Z and doing a 3.3 swap/build. Okay so My question is, I have a South Bend Stage 3 "Daily" Clutch and the Matching SBCNIS-4 Flywheel. These will not fit into the Z32 bellhousing, so Ive heard...??? Nobody seems to state why, or whatnot.. If someone can answer that Id appreciate it, but moreso, if I cannot use this clutch and flywheel, what do I use? Will i have to buy a z32 clutch and flywheel or the M30 Maxima? Im so confused because there's almost no information on this tranny swap. I read all the info in the OP. AMREBOOT I know you have probably the most knowledge in this area, I would greatly appreciate your help. I would love to avoid having to buy another brand new clutch and flyweel setup for this because honestly my now 2 year old South Bend Clutch and Flywheel setup only has about 3k miles on them, barely past break in... And after spending $850 on them... I will literally cry if I have to buy a whole new setup, becuz im about to dump 2k into a turbo and 2k-3k into the 3.3L build, and doing this will just set my dream build back even more. So yea, if you have to give me bad news, please break it to me lightly.

Thanks in advance guys, Especially the veterans on these forums that have done all the legwork to bring this Z community and knowledge base where it is today.
      Have you considered going the simple route and just replacing your 71C for right now? They came in all NA 5 speed Z31s and were also in the 240SX, so finding one should be pretty easy.
      Prius... because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Comment

Yea, Ive thought about it, don't want to do it.. I've gone through 2 71C's and half way through a 90A already in only about 3-4 years of driving it. I really just need to know what clutch amd flywheel to buy or if mine will fit. I can afford it, don't want to. and also, why won't the z31's fit? Is it the wrong tooth size/spacing for the starter on the z32 trans? Or is the overall diameter too big? I thought it was 10mm smaller?

Comment

The 30a bell housings for the z31 are not that rare, in fact, very common.
          The pathy's, hardbodys, frontiers, and xterras all have the same bell housings

So year range was 87-2004. There are PLENTY of them.

Lets put things in perspective here about the costs and benefits.

- z31 30a's are normally sold around $400-500 because of the rarity of them.
          - the shifter/striker is the same as the pahty's (and other trucks listed above).... meaning it shifts like a truck.
          - z32 30a's are very plentiful being that ALL manual z32's came with them. They can be had for as low as $100
          - the cost of obtaining and swapping to a z32 30a is near of the cost (maybe a little more) of the z31 30a
          - the shifting of the z32 30a is the rear clevis type... very nice and feels amazing.

Bottom line, doing the z32 30a swap smart-like is well worth it and may only be a few bucks more than the z31 30a.

Regarding your clutch and flywheel, it appears to be a 240mm flywheel. I don't see why it wouldn't fit a z32 30a. The z32 n/a 30a's are made for 240mm flywheels, and the z32tt 30a's are 250mm.
          The DXD clutches and pressure plates that are fitted for a 240mm flywheel are actually 350z 250mm clutch discs.
          But that doesn't matter in your situation.

My recommendation. Hit the JY's and find a manual out of the above listed vehicles.

Comment

www.car-part.com. Found seven avg. $75

86na
            88t (Z32 30a;240mm Fidanza;Centerforce)

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. AMReboot thank you for the extra info about the clutch/flywheel. I'm going to go ahead and start gathering the parts for this. I appreciate it, really.

Comment

not sure if i missed it, but i can bolt up a z32 na or tt bellhousing to my z31 30a trans? does the stock driveshaft slide into the z32 box?
                http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

Originally posted by onefast87 View Post
                  not sure if i missed it, but i can bolt up a z32 na or tt bellhousing to my z31 30a trans? does the stock driveshaft slide into the z32 box?
                  z32 n/a and TT bell housings are the same in terms of how they bolt to the 30a. The only difference between z32 n/a and TT bell housings are the starter mounting points (configured for flywheel differences, 240 vs 250)

Yes, the z31 30a driveshaft yoke is the same between the z32 30a's.

Comment

Also note that the z32 n/a 30a bell housings are meant to fit a 240mm flywheel/clutch setup.
                    But you can grind away the inside webbings to fit a 250mm flywheel/clutch setup. Tons of z32 guys do this.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzyrulez View Post
                      Figured I would start a new thread with what I did and what info I have to share on how to do this swap.

First thing to remember is I already had a FS5R30A transmission in my car since it's a Shiro.

Since the two transmissions are very similar I just pulled the bellhousing off of my busted up 30a and swapped onto the new Z32 unit. The bellhousing swap was straight forward, no modifications needed. Using my bellhousing I am able to retain my Z31 DXD clutch, Fidanza flywheel and stock starter.

Before putting the transmission in the car, I decided to bolt on the new shifter bracket. I bought the shortened bracket designed for 240SX to use a Z32 tranny from Xcessive Manufacturing. The install of their shorter shift lever can be a bit of a pain. The Z32 tranny uses a dog bone shaped linkage that is connected with a small U-joint. If you aren't careful you get to do what I did and repack all the little needle bearings. That is not fun! Anyway, after you get the dog bone off you attach the Xcessive shift linkage. It is very easy to install. It just bolts right on.
                      http://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com...step=4&pid=111

While we are talking about shifters I bought the Z1 Premium short throw shifter from Z1 Motorsports. This thing is nice. Feels great too, it is a bit pricey but any Z32 short throw should work. I did have to drill out the metal bushing in the center of the shifter for it to accommodate the through bolt from the Xcessive bracket. I can't say you will or will not run into this also. Nothing that 5 minutes on a drill press won't fix.
                      http://www.zspeedperformance.com/300...fter-Z1STS.htm

I also installed the ASCO poly transmission mount. This was very straight forward. Only issue I ran into is where the nuts go on the topside of the tranny case to hold the bolts. The Z31 transmission is open right there the Z32 tranny has "ribs" I just used smaller head diameter nuts to solve that. Otherwise it was a direct bolt on to the Z32 housing.

Another issue I came across, while minor was a bit of a pain. The Z32 has two different speed sensors. One for an NA car the other for TT. The NA cars have a 4.08 rear gear and TT's have a 3.7. I happened to have a NA with a 20 tooth red speedo gear but my car has a 3.7 differential. I bought a 18 tooth TT gear to swap on. It swaps on just fine, but I discovered shortly after install that the reason Nissan has two speed sensors is the offset of the gear is different! Well I discovered that rotating the speed sensor 180* solves the issue. However you will have to make a bracket. I used some aluminum plate I had laying around. Its not super pretty but it does the job. Also the speed sensor connector is different from the Z31 and the wiring is about 4ft shorter. So I just cut the harness off my old 30a speed sensor and soldered it on. Matching wires don't matter, both wires on the Z32 unit are the same. Just solder on and plug in. Speedo is working flawlessly now.

At this point it was time to put the new tranny into the car. Keep in mind the shifter WAS NOT installed. It installed just like the tranny that came out. The tranny mount and cross member lined right up everything slid right in. Threw in the bellhousing bolts, starter, slave cylinder and cross member. Now I was ready to take my drive shaft measurement. I spoke with Dave at Shaftmasters. He advised me to measure from tranny seal to diff flange. I also needed to let him know what size the diff flange is.

Turns out there are two kinds on the Z31, I had the larger square type. Yours may be that or the smaller rectangular type on the older Z31 so make sure you keep an eye on that. My measurement for the new drive shaft was 35" exactly from seal to flange. Your measurement may be different based on bellhousing you use. It will definitely be different if you have 2+2. If you have a 30a bellhousing on a 87+ 2 seater you will probably be ok with my measurements but absolutely always double check!

While I was waiting on the drive shaft to be made and delivered I installed the shifter. It's incredibly simple. 2 bolts is it. If you can't do that without help you shouldn't be doing this swap lol.

When the drive shaft came, it slid right in and bolted up perfectly. I reinstalled my exhaust, I have the CM 3in turbo back. If you do too, I highly recommend removing it all before doing this swap. There is no room with it on. After the shaft and exhaust were back on I filled the tranny with Redline MT-90. It took just over 2.5 quarts.

The tranny is great, feels awesome. The new shifter setup is taking some getting used to but the throw is short and precise. Ultimately though, with as fragmented as information on this swap was I hope this helps the entire community. It wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be.

RS5R30A with a FS5R30A bellhousing and stock Z31 crossmember
                      PIC

Shifter location with Xcessive shortened bracket
                      PIC

Speed Sensor with my bracket to rotate it 180* for use with TT blue speedo gear
                      PIC

New drive shaft with the MT-90
                      PIC
                      How is your driveshaft holding up? Is it aluminum? What kind of power are you putting down? I'm looking to get an aluminum driveshaft made from shaftmasters and I'm wondering if it's quality and how well it will hold up to 400+ whp
                      Last edited by Pace; 03-24-2017, 08:55 AM. Reason: No need to quote numerous pics

Comment

Working...
                      X