Auto Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Transmission

My trans is slowly going out and am trying to determine which route to go. I would to do a 5-spd swap but my 58 yr old back will not allow me to do such. My first question would be is there any difference between the auto transmissions in the turbo and NA?

I have looked into the Level 10 transmissions but find mixed results. Everything fr. wonderful reviews to the darn thing blew in less than 5k miles with Level 10 not backing their work. I'm in the process of trying to find re-manufactured autos. Courtesy Nissan has none. I will be checking with Jasper, , ATK, Mr. Transmission, etc..

Opinions are most welcome other than the slushbox comments. I am fully aware the Nissan auto is weak water
    1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO Performance Package

All automatic Z31s used the 4N71B transmission.

If you are looking to pay someone to have yours removed, rebuilt and reinstalled, might it be
    cost effective to just source a 5spd and associated parts for the swap yourself and have a shop install it.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I am not doing the 5-Spd swap as my back will not allow such. Too many surgeries on the back. I guess my questions would would include: is the turbo trans stronger, beefier than the na trans? Would a z32 auto be an option/upgrade?
      1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

Comment

Hey man,

The level 10 mods are not exactly secret sauce. If you take the car to any transmission shop that does muscle or drag cars they will be able to set you up with the same or very similar for not much more than a stock rebuild (usually seems to run just over a grand, but expect it to take a couple weeks while they wait for parts.) That's what I did, got a two-year warranty off of it too.

In fact, the place that did mine said that unless you are putting down 300+rwtq and drive really hard they'd just do a stock rebuild and a cooler and call it a day.

Comment

Thanks guys. Most helpful in formulating the game plan.

Comment

Working...
          X