Rebuild of OEM CLSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild of OEM CLSD

I replaced the clutch pads on my 1988 turbo manual Z. First off, I don’t know if the automatics came with a different CLSD, but from my investigation they are two different carriers. The only difference between the two that I know is the bolts that hold the carrier together. One has 3 screws holding it and the other 4 screws. Mine is a 2.0 way 4 screws.

Now to the clutches they are 2 kit that fit our carrier
    Part number 3843S-RS651 solid pattern (probably for a 1.5 way)

387519_Nismo_3843S-RS521_FS01-01@2x1446852966563d39663b947.jpg

Part number 3843S-RS521 lines pattern (probably for the 2 .0 way) I dont have a picture for it.

But they are interchangeable mine is a 2.0 way and I used the solid pattern.
    They are 12 clutches or( friction disc or plate)
    1 Friction disk engage to the inside the parts that drives the axle
    2 Friction plate engage to the carrier turn by the ring gear
    2 springs disk the same as the friction disk, but it is concave and keeps the clutch pack loaded
    4 springs plate same as the friction plate, but it is concave and keeps the clutch pack loaded
    The more spring plates or disc the higher the breakaway of the clsd.
    The one in my car came with 2 friction plates 2 springs’ plates and only on friction disc, so is only one disc per side transferring the power to the ground( not good). Both of the kits come with 2 spring plates,1 spring disc, 1 friction plate and 2 friction disk ,so 3 friction disc per side transferring the power to the ground and the extra spring increase the breakaway .The factory is 8Kgf and the Nismo kit is 12 kgf breakaway.

When the carrier is free from the ring gear then you can access the screws that hole the cap together. The carrier is mark if is not make sure to mark the two parts together.

IMG_20160221_165636.jpg

This are the screws that I am talking about some use 4 some use 3
    IMG_20160225_201204.jpg

When you remove the top this is how is going to look.
    IMG_20160221_172006.jpg

Remove the clutches and pressure ring this is how is going to look

Without the clutches
    IMG_20160221_170651.jpg

Repair of CLSD

With the clutches
    IMG_20160221_171001.jpg

Then you have the pinions inside remove the pinions to gain access to the other pressure ring .On the outside of the clutches there is a big washer you don’t need it any more with the nismo kit. They are two, one on each side. The small washer that came in the kit goes on the small holes of the carrier one on each side.

IMG_20160221_170701.jpg

Big washer not need it they are two one on each side
    IMG_20160221_170144.jpg

small washer in the hole
    IMG_20160221_170310.jpg

Both pressure rings out
    IMG_20160221_171246.jpg

Remove all the clutches from the pressure ring
    The FSM ask you to take measurement,but because I am not replacing anything else I am not taking the measurements, so is up to you.

Now to put it back together I find out that is easier to put the clutches on the pressure ring first. (Remember the spring clutches are on the outside with the concave parts to the outside. If you put the clutches in the pressure ring first the order is

Friction disc
    Friction plate
    Friction disc
    Spring plate
    Spring disc
    Spring plate

This is the order if you decide to put them in the pressure ring first and remember 6 per side.
    Remember concave side to the outside. Now put everything back in reverse order. When everything is in the last clutch should be flush on the carrier case. Make sure the mate pinion is in place. Now line up the two half Loctite the screws and done.

Comment

CLSD clutches repair

Pressure ring with clutches
      IMG_20160221_171246.jpg

Concave side
      IMG_20160225_201642.jpg

After everything is in the last clutch should be almost flush to the carrier
      IMG_20160221_172006.jpg

Remember to put the small washer before putting the lid I almost forgot to do that.
      IMG_20160221_170301.jpg

match the marks
      IMG_20160221_165636.jpg

Comment

Make sure the pressure ring are set with the pinion mate
        IMG_20160221_171911.jpg

The pinions on mine showed sigh of wear,but they are NLA and I could not find anything .
        If you have questions or find something new let me know ,so I can included here. Or if I am wrong on something let me know ,so I can corrected . I did the best with what I could find.
        And sorry for the bad English I will fix it as I find things wrong .

Old set as you can see the old set only has 2 Friction disc 1 per side that is the disc that put the power on the CV axles. Not good after 30 years of use they get week

IMG_20160221_170138.jpg

Comment

Good info thanks.

Comment

Thanks Jose, I ordered the kit but it's on backorder
            Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
            if it fails, fuck it.
            at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

There is a guy on hybridzcar that sells just the friction parts in a set of 4 or 6 and can get them to you within a couple days if you are pressed for time. I just ordered from him late last week and got them Monday.
              Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

Comment

I've been sitting on a set I bought from Gary Savage a few years ago. I want the serrated ones.
                Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Comment

Any reason for the preference?
                  Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

Comment

Better and the higher price reflect that as well.
                    Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Comment

Working...
                    X