Swapping a VLSD into your Z31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good information in this topic

for me so far Z32 NA has worked perfectly for Making the axles outlined in method 5

( for my 85 T i am expecting to have to weld the inner cv race from the diff side further in to make the axles short enough to be used without changing the companion flange )

I am yet to put the VLSD carrier into the longnose R200 & hope to provide a more definite drawing of where the grooves need to be cut on the diff side 5 bolt output flanges. and how far the need to be shortened.

my question > has anybody used the Short nose R200 finned cover on the Long nose diff housing ? I don't have my long nose diff removed from the car as yet to find out.

Is there any benefit to using the finned cover > surely diff cooling would be better than the normal Z31 diff cover ?
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

james wrote: my question > has anybody used the Short nose R200 finned cover on the Long nose diff housing ? I don't have my long nose diff removed from the car as yet to find out.Yes, it will require a custom mount as the diff cover mount bolts are in a different location, however the cover to housing bolt locations are the same.

james wrote:
      Is there any benefit to using the finned cover > surely diff cooling would be better than the normal Z31 diff cover ?
      The main difference is cooling and extra fluid for cooling.
      Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
      Originally posted by BoostedMamma
      Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

perfect thanks Racinjitter
        85 Turbo Slick Top
        __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

I'm almost done with this swap, and I have a question concerning the axles:

I'm going with the tri-BDO axles, and I was wondering if I should use the spring that goes inside the stock outer tripod CV or just leave it out?
          irony.cc

Comment

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: The swap consists of installing your Z31 ring gear onto the VLSD carrier and then installing the VLSD carrier into your differential housing.
            OK, this may be a stupid question but I don't want to guess. Is the pinion gear on the R200V adaptable at all to the long-nose housing? Just wondering if there is the option to use the 3:91 r/p. I know the 88/89 NA had a 3:91 (and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it at the pap when I had the chance) but was wondering if this might be an option as well. I can't quite tell from the one pinion picture I found.

Comment

^^ I think you need to use the spring.

^The shortnose R&P will not swap into the longnose. You have to use a gearset for the longnose diff.
              "produce first.talk second."

Comment

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: ^^ I think you need to use the spring.

^The shortnose R&P will not swap into the longnose. You have to use a gearset for the longnose diff.
                can't you use the Pinion from the long nose and the Ring from the short-nose?

Comment

I don't think so.I don't think the teeth would mesh properly? Meh Idk
                  "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp

Comment

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: The shortnose R&P will not swap into the longnose. You have to use a gearset for the longnose diff.
                    That's kinda what I figured, Thanks!!

Comment

[quote]Careless wrote:
                      Originally posted by Mike_GruiZinga
                      ^^ I think you need to use the spring.

can't you use the Pinion from the long nose and the Ring from the short-nose?
                      You dont want an unmatched ring and pinion set... Will be nothing but issues.
                      Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

[quote]Racinjitter wrote:
                        Originally posted by Careless
                        can't you use the Pinion from the long nose and the Ring from the short-nose?You dont want an unmatched ring and pinion set... Will be nothing but issues.
                        To elaborate, the bite of the gears over many Mi/Km wears a seat in the gear teeth. Mismatching sets that have been used conflicts with the pattern and wears quickly.

New set? maybe a possibility...

Comment

ok, so since you can buy the Ring from Nissan, and you can buy the Pinion from nissan (and they don't come matched)... Shouldn't be buying a new long nose ring, and buying a new long nose pinion work much the same as they're unused so they will wear into eachother anyways?

Comment

If they are the same exact pitch, depth, taper and twist... They might work. Long nose will work with long nose parts.

Comment

Racinjitter wrote: If they are the same exact pitch, depth, taper and twist... They might work. Long nose will work with long nose parts.
                              sorry, i meant new long nose ring, and new short nose pinion.
                              I've seen them sold separately and they can be had separately from Nissan.

A driveline shop with the proper marking and setting tools should be able to tell if they're compatible with the proper paint marking technique, shouldn't they?

Comment

I didn't think they were still available.

Comment

Working...
                                X