X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket speaker size problem

Hello guys,

I want to upgrade my audio,

Just wanted to know what speaker you put on your car, because regular 6.5 inches aftermarket speakers dont fit .
    My stock speakers are around 6inches on my 84 .

Have you expanded the holes ? or are there any speakers who fit without problems?

Thanks

1984-1989 Stock Clarion speakers are 6.5"

But, they are shallow and small so newer and better performing speakers with larger magnets and beefier construction may not fit.

I recently fit some Aura MR62 6.5" speakers up front that required a new plate and spacer fabbed.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I used some 1/2-thick paper-board to fit aftermarket speakers up front. I had Hypnotic 6.5s front and rear. Good for Deadmau5 and G Unit. I miss high school.

You just create a ring around the speaker to move it out of the door a bit.
      " I spend another hour trying to rip the bolt out of the subframe, pausing every five minutes to scream and contemplate how I get myself into these situations. Two cars over, a guy urinates. I watch the steam waft off of the fresh puddle in the gravel. It merges with the blowing snow and is cut by the aerodynamic wedge of a nearby Fiero. Beautiful. Another pry and the carrier finally falls to earth. I walk out of there $80 lighter, which makes me more mad." - Brian Kolar

Comment

I fit my 6.5" Kicker CS series with no problems.
        Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
        Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks buddy, I recently was thinking of this too. Glad you put your input with the Kickers CS. What do you have on Rear Speakers? mine are going bad ATM and will need a upgrade/replacement.

Thanks guys !!

Comment

ok, its not normal,

my stock speakers are hitachi
            DSC_0080.jpgDSC_0083.jpgDSC_0086.jpgDSC_0089.jpg
            it measure something like 15,8 cm or 6 inches

I have bought jbl speakers 6.5 inches, and it simply dont fit , i think i'll have to cut...
            I never imagined that there were several sizes.

Comment

The speakers in the back are NOT the typical "modern" 6.5" speakers. If you measure the diameter of the mounting holes, you'll notice that it is smaller than 6.5". I can only assume that the way speakers were measured/compared changed over time. The best thing to do is look at the size specs for speakers you want, and fine one with mounting holes that will fit in the metal bracket. My guess is that you'll need to find speakers a little smaller than 6.5". Alternatively, you can fab a custom bracket or ring to raise the speaker up or provide a larger diameter to mount real 6.5" speakers.
              1988 300ZX Turbo Shiro Special

Comment

Front - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641DS...654.html?tp=95

Rear - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CS6...654.html?tp=95
                Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
                Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
                sigpic

Comment

Not all 6.5" speakers measure the same ... you want ones that are 160mm in diameter (for a perfect fit). It is also very convenient for them to have 120 degree mounting hole locations. Many have an overall diameter of 165mm (or even larger) and are also listed as 6.5 inch, and may not drop though the mounting hole without cutting it. (Using Metra adapter rings might lift the speaker enough to eliminate this issue --- but then again, for some it may not.) As far as depth is concerned, the rears are fairly accommodating, but the doors not so much --- be careful with those. A really good choice for speaker if you don't want to go the subwoofer route is the Pioneer TS-D1602R. Excellent sound and very good bass. You'll need an external amp to drive them, but a good JL class D can fit under the passenger's seat. You can find these on eBay for a pretty good price ... I got the speakers for under $70 a pair. NEW.
                  Last edited by NewJerseyZ; 11-19-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X