turbo conversion..spending money like a drunken sailor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo conversion..spending money like a drunken sailor

I have a 86 NA(beautiful). I have all the needed parts for a turbo conversion from a 87turbo. I have purchased a 88turbo ECU. I have the turbo injectors and also purchased 450 Mercedes injectors. My question is this: can I use the 88t ECU and the turbo injectors on my NA till I get the nerve to do the whole conversion. I am going to socket the ECU and hope someone will have a Eprom for a NA with larger injectors programed. Can I do this with the 88t ECU on my NA 86 with the intent to go ahead at some future date and do the complete turbo conversion. Am I opening a can of worms? Should I go ahead and use the larger 450 injectors or the 87t injectors? I detest duplication of money and effort. Thanks

keep it stock until you're ready to do the whole thing.
    Funny stories!

Comment

That is most likely the best advice I have gotten. Just accumulate all the parts. I really love my car, and south florida this time of year is when it is the best driving. What an addiction I have aquired.

Comment

You'll run pig rich on an NA using those, I agree with homestar and just wait.
        http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I will keep you guys council and wait. Of course, the addiction to a Z is everything I do just makes Ole Linda Lou come alive. What a trip a Z can be. Thanks Guys. I really like this forum.

Comment

Just wait until you're boosting then, it hasn't even begun yet hehe
            http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Gulp! Im gona have to eat one of the kids to complete this project Z LOL

Comment

Wait a second, couldnt he do the ecu, afm and the injectors and run fine? the afm would count the air and the injectors would only spray what they need for the air coming in. That and if he did that now, that would be one less thing for him to trouble shoot later if stuff wasnt working right. the more you do at once the more options you have that could have gone wrong that you now have to trace down.
                85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I suppose at idle, a turbo Z31 flows no more air then a NA car.

You could probably run the mas, injectors and ecu without to many problems. It might run slightly richer then an NA ecu/injectors, but I would agree, it should run pretty well.
                  Attached Files
                  ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

you can most definetly install the turbo computer and injectors first.. in fact i would say its a good idea. like satan said its one less thing to troubleshoot if you install everything at once. the computer is just metering air. it dosnt care how much, as long as it isnt more than the afm and injectors can handle.. an NA car with stock turbo computer and injectors will run totally fine. the only differences will be the timing and fuel maps, but that is negligible.. all you are doing is adding more fuel potential... if i were converting another car i would definetly do the computer and fuel stuff first and then the mechanical stuff. what i would NOT do is put in the 450cc injectors now. wait until you finish the conversion and you are happy with how the car is running. good luck

Comment

This is good stuff guys. That is what I was hopeing. I could go ahead and install the 88t ECU. Have a socket installed. Put the stock 87t injectors in and wait on the Mercedes larger injectors till I do the full monty. Jason mentioned to me there is a programed chip out there that will run this, but I do no know the person that has done this. I figure with the gutted plenum, larger throttle body, and larger injectors I would have a pretty exhilerating ride till I go turbo. I know there is a point of deminishing returns with the NA, but I don't think im there yet. Thank you fellows

Comment

I honestly haven't looked at the NA programs much, but if I remember correctly, the NA has a more aggressive timing curve, and more resolution for the load areas because the maps aren't chewed up by boost. You may actually end up losing a bit of power until you finally add the turbo to it.

But it should drive fine.
                        vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                        2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Thank you, I really appreciate your information. My office used to be on Barfield road.

Comment

I would love to drive soap creek road in my Z
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X