Megasquirt 1 or 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt 1 or 2?

Just wondered if any one can give me a reason to buy ms2 over ms1.this will be for my 86 turbo thats receiving an hx35, 440cc injectors, walbro, ect dont really want more then 400 hp.just want to get rid of the maf and go map.

Not worth the effort of getting rid of (better) MAF to go to (worse) MAP for just 400hp.

www.nistune.com is my recommendation.

If you MUST go Megasquirt, go with atleast MS2...
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

From what i understand a MS1 only controls fuel, so you will need a MS2 with full ignition control.

I personally ran a MS2 in my z31 and i thought it was great. It wasn't very hard to install either and has a ton of features.
      Now i now that nistune requires less work overall, but i feel the MS2 sells itself with all the extra features it has.
      I think the only plus for me with nistune is that it has base maps available.

so long story short, +1 for MS2
      http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

onefast87 wrote: From what i understand a MS1 only controls fuel, so you will need a MS2 with full ignition control.

I personally ran a MS2 in my z31 and i thought it was great. It wasn't very hard to install either and has a ton of features.
        Now i now that nistune requires less work overall, but i feel the MS2 sells itself with all the extra features it has.
        I think the only plus for me with nistune is that it has base maps available.

so long story short, +1 for MS2
        could I get away with Ms1 and using msd 6a to trigger spark?

Comment

Stock Nissan ECU /w Nistune has larger resolution fuel/spark maps...16x16 tables rather than 12x12. Stock ECU with Nistune can actually, properly, control the idle controls. Both use Batch fuel injection. Nistune uses a USB 2.0 cable/port for communications, not Serial.

Nistune, also, allows you to adjust cold start enrichment maps, warm start enrichment maps, timing maps for cold/warm start, rev limiter, etc....The only features I see you missing is the ability to have a trigger for nitrous (or whatever you want...)

The larger resolution fuel/timing maps sells me on Nistune...plus the fact that it can be plug and play. Send an ECU to have it installed, get it back...plug it into your OE harness and go.
          - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

why MUST you run MS1? Just run MS2 or the latter version. Nisutne for the win though. I have heavy experience with both and really like both. But Megasquirt was the best option out there before Nistune came out....not its not the best option in my opinion. Still a good setup though.

Comment

Unless you just want to tinker with a megasquirt because its a hobby nistune is the better way to go for your power goals. You can make 400whp and have it run and cold start just like stock within a few hours of tune work, much more involved with a megasquirt for very little gain at that power level.
              lm7 swapped z
              350z 6speed
              s475 turbo
              microsquirt ems
              street car
              http://www.youtube.com/user/redz31t?blend=21&ob=5

Comment

michaelp wrote: Stock Nissan ECU /w Nistune has larger resolution fuel/spark maps...16x16 tables rather than 12x12. Stock ECU with Nistune can actually, properly, control the idle controls. Both use Batch fuel injection. Nistune uses a USB 2.0 cable/port for communications, not Serial.

Nistune, also, allows you to adjust cold start enrichment maps, warm start enrichment maps, timing maps for cold/warm start, rev limiter, etc....The only features I see you missing is the ability to have a trigger for nitrous (or whatever you want...)

The larger resolution fuel/timing maps sells me on Nistune...plus the fact that it can be plug and play. Send an ECU to have it installed, get it back...plug it into your OE harness and go.
                Megasquirt II, with the extra code (which is the only one that's really used now), has 16x16 dual spark and timing tables. Cold start, cranking, etc. enrichment tables are there as well. The cold idle valve is just a Bosch thermostatic valve that needs +12v, and the other one is a PWM idle valve that, I'll admit, takes a little modification to work with MS.

There's also the rev limiter, boost limiter, 2-step, EGO, and nitrous features as well.

MS2 for the win.
                BLOZ UP.com
                It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll go with MS2 pcb 3.57. there are a few reasons I'm going with MS over nistune. MAP sensor being one, also no offense to the makers of nistune but MS from DIY autotune is USA made. and I try to do my best to buy american made parts when I can.
                  The biggest reason though is the dyno tuners around here (destin, fl) have no experence with nistune. I do plan on building a forged longblock later so power goals will go up.

Comment

sagillman wrote: thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll go with MS2 pcb 3.57. there are a few reasons I'm going with MS over nistune. MAP sensor being one, also no offense to the makers of nistune but MS from DIY autotune is USA made. and I try to do my best to buy american made parts when I can.
                    The biggest reason though is the dyno tuners around here (destin, fl) have no experence with nistune. I do plan on building a forged longblock later so power goals will go up.
                    Just got a MS3 V3.57. Have not had a chance to start it or calibrate everthing. The install wasnt that bad, theres just not alot of ppl in the Z31 community utilizing it. Soon there should be some stuff coming out for the Vg to make install easier and utilize a couple features the MS gives you. Find DIYautotune on Facebook. i believe there giving 10% off atm.
                    89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
                    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
                    07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

Comment

Working...
                    X