suggestions for cam gear settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for cam gear settings

I am going to be installing my built engine over the weekend and I will be using morgan style cam gears. I was going to lean towards getting more torque but am afraid I might exceed the dxd stage 4 clutches torque capacity. Any suggestions on where to place them? Car will be running nistune, 480cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, t3/t4 said to be good to around 550-600hp, forged pistons, brc 8.5:1 pistons, balanced, external wastegate, 3" turbo back no cat, again dxd stage 4 with fidenza flywheel, afco radiator, electric fan, large NPR intercooler, isky cams, ferrera valves, schnieder springs, new OEM lifters. I am planning revving to around 6700rpm maybe more if the car seems like it can take it. Specs for the cams are as follows from the sheet isky sent me with them.

Grind - 280-MEGA HYD
    270-MEGA HYD

Lobe Center 119 deg
    valve lift is calculated with rocker ratio of 1.5

INTAKE TIMING
    DURATION 280 DEG
    OPEN 21 BEFORE TDC
    CLOSE 79 AFTER DBC
    CAM LIFT .323
    VALVE LIFT .485
    VALVE LASH .000

EXHAUST TIMING
    DURATION 270 DEG
    OPEN 21 BEFORE TDC
    CLOSE 74 AFTER DBC
    CAM LIFT .310
    VALVE LIFT .465
    VALVE LASH .000

OVERLAP 37 DEG
    THE ABOVE TIMING IS CHECKED AT (OPEN) LIFTER RISE

THE FOLLOWING TIMING IS TAKEN AT .050 LIFTER RISE AND GIVES A MORE ACCURATE DETERMINATION OF CAMSHAFT POSITION.

INTAKE
    DURATION 232 DEG
    OPEN -3 BEFORE TDC
    CLOSE 55 AFTER BDC

EXHAUST
    DURATION 221 DEG
    OPEN 49.5 BEFORE BDC
    CLOSE -8.5 AFTER TDC
    The saing goes you save the best for last which is why the letter Z was chosen as the last letter of the alphabet. It is also why it was chosen to represent the best car of the 80's.

Respect the Z

Why not get a dyno tune when your done?
    My Build Thread

Comment

Do you realize how much a PITA it is to set the advance/retard on the Morgan gears? Cam gear has to be completely removed from cam to make a change, then set timing belt again, and possible coolant spills/refills. And trying to do this on/at the dyno. Can get very time consuming and costly very quickly.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
      1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
      2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: Do you realize how much a PITA it is to set the advance/retard on the Morgan gears? Cam gear has to be completely removed from cam to make a change, then set timing belt again, and possible coolant spills/refills. And trying to do this on/at the dyno. Can get very time consuming and costly very quickly.
        That is the best reasoning I have seen expressed for getting a set of my gears...come to think of it that is why I made them the way I did. :lol:
        I would go for 3* advance on the setting. It will move your power band down in the RPM range for better response while you are waiting for the turbo to come on. Also +3* will be more streetable. Like you said the only way to really tell is to do a pull at each setting. Check out Jason's dyno sheet in this section http://www.redz31.net/pages/headwork.html
        Also I showed some different settings on my NA engine in the Cam gear write up viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17659

If you can't get them exactly where you want I have some in Red and Blue.
        ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: Do you realize how much a PITA it is to set the advance/retard on the Morgan gears? Cam gear has to be completely removed from cam to make a change, then set timing belt again, and possible coolant spills/refills. And trying to do this on/at the dyno. Can get very time consuming and costly very quickly.
          OH I know. But I was just saying to dyno tune it so that he can get the best possible gains for his setup. Im not sure how good is one persons setting to another persons with 2 differnt cars.
          My Build Thread

Comment

best possible performance is not possible since we dont know your entire setup.

I ran -6 and -9 depending.

if you do road course and backcountry road fun, straight up or maybe +3. if you do alot of highway/dragrace then you may look to retard.
            Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

aceman wrote: best possible performance is not possible since we dont know your entire setup.

I ran -6 and -9 depending.

if you do road course and backcountry road fun, straight up or maybe +3. if you do alot of highway/dragrace then you may look to retard.
              ^ this!
              "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Comment

decided to try -6 since I will be going for more drag racing. Hopefully I will have the car back together tomarrow, just got to put my new steering rack in before I can install the new engine.
                The saing goes you save the best for last which is why the letter Z was chosen as the last letter of the alphabet. It is also why it was chosen to represent the best car of the 80's.

Respect the Z

Comment

Working...
                X