Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypereutectic pistons - Does the OEM Nissan VG engine have them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypereutectic pistons - Does the OEM Nissan VG engine have them?

Does anyone know if the OEM cast pistons in the VG30/VG33E are hypereutectic? I'm looking for a replacement piston for my VG33E and I'm looking at aftermarket pistons made by NPR (don't need high performance), but they are made of AC8a aluminum that says to have about 11-13% silicon. The eutecitc point is around 12% silicon.

Anybody know the composition of the Nissan pistons?

Side note, when I did my VG33 I got custom hypereutectic pistons from Kb. There's a few 3.0L performance piston options but for the 3.3 seems like you have to go custom. It actually wasn't that expensive, I paid just under $500 canadabux last summer, so say $350?

Comment

Originally posted by FrozenZ View Post
      Side note, when I did my VG33 I got custom hypereutectic pistons from Kb. There's a few 3.0L performance piston options but for the 3.3 seems like you have to go custom. It actually wasn't that expensive, I paid just under $500 canadabux last summer, so say $350?
      Interesting. I found a couple OEM replacement options, but would like to try to determine what the factory pistons were made of. Sealed Power has a hypereutectic for about $70 per piston. Safety Gasket sells a set for about $175. NPR (the ones I'd like) sells a set to me at about $135, but they are not hypereutectic. I'll probably get a set of Safety Gasket and inspect them. I'm curious how they look.

Comment

I think Nissan based the VG30 pistons on the L28 ones. If you can find more information about those, they should be the same. You can take a look at this article, they described most of the design features comparing it to the L28.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kaur View Post
          I think Nissan based the VG30 pistons on the L28 ones. If you can find more information about those, they should be the same. You can take a look at this article, they described most of the design features comparing it to the L28.
          Thanks. Interesting read.

I believe the OEM piston are NOT hypereutectic, based on the piston to wall clearance specs. I ordered a set of NPR pistons. I'll toss one of the pistons in the oven and heat it to 350deg and see how much it swells.

Comment

Working...
          X