Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheap and easy turbo upgrade, TBO 348

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cheap and easy turbo upgrade, TBO 348

    Well guys so far theres some good news. Jason "Crazy" on here spent some time working on his turbo this weekend. Ive been trying to talk him into putting a bigger one than the T3 all summer, and gave him my old stock Buick GN turbo, a Garret TBO-348. well being that the stock turbo will flow 550-600cfm, i think might be closer to mid 600s though, and was good on my car till about 23-24#s on my 3.8L, i figured that it should be perfect for the 3.0L up to at least that amount.
    Anyway we pulled apart the stock T3, and i can see why its so restrictive. The turbine is really long and leaves much to be desired. then I grabbed the stock T3 turbine housing and slid it onto my center section, IT FIT, but was a little tight. a quick pass with a flap wheel to clean the exducer gave it plenty of clearance. Another benefit to the is you get rid of all that water cooling BS. suprisingly, after working on the clocking a little it fit perfect with everything lining up.
    The only modifications i see with this is to block off the coolant passages and we will have to remove about 1-1.5" off the lower part of the charge pipe, as the compressor is about 2" larger in diameter

    turbo specs: turbine-T3 low inertia high flow, 1.982 exducer, 2.320 tip diameter, "73" trim, 11 blades, 0 degrees clip
    compressor-couldnt find the info i was looking for, but i beleive it is a T04E "57" trim with a 54mm inducer and a .60 A/R.

    so there you have it, i will take some pics this week and/or weekend and hopefully we will have it on the road to see how it spools and stuff. im expecting some serious improvement with this, as it is kinda like a Holset 35. stay tuned!
    Gary
    87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
    current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

  • #2
    I've seen that done on a Z before. I think it was at hybridz but I'm not certain.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

    Comment


    • #3
      `
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Water cooling is not good? :shock:

        Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

        Comment


        • #5
          MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Water cooling is not good? :shock:
          Some people argue it isn't. Personally I am not using it.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, if my water lines ever start to leak, i will not hesitate to temporily loop them

            Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

            Comment


            • #7
              MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Water cooling is not good? :shock:
              It's not that its "not good' per se, but more so its easier and less cumbersome t delete them when you pull/replace your turbo. If you have sufficient oil flow, its usually just as efficient.
              Originally posted by Andrew84zx
              tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ
              VG30ET.com Member

              Comment


              • #8
                The grand National turbo is a T04B and a smaller sized one at that, a T04E 57 trim is alot bigger than the GN turbo. The GN compressor will support about 350HP efficiently, but the stock turbine housing and wheel sucks ass! The stock T3 wheel is too small to make much of anything over 300hp. So its a great compressor upgrade just for shits if you are going to keep stock tuning, but i would never run the turbo if i had an upgraded fuel system.

                Comment


                • #9
                  it is plenty efficient as i made over 350 WHEEL hp with it and the record for it in a full weight (3500) lbs gn is a 10.8, thats with the crap stock intercooler too, and it supposedly dyno'd in the mid 400s at that wheels. i was pretty sure it wasnt a 57 trim but thats all i could find, and it isnt all that much smaller. I run a TE44 and that is a 57 trim at 58mm inducer. the stock is around 54mm and that is a serious upgrade to the crappy t3 nonsense that is on there now.
                  On another note, the exhaust wheel is the limiting factor, but we are dealing with a motor here that can make good power with the stock turbine, and this one has half the area of that. Like i said, it is good to 23# on a 3.8L v6 revving to 5200, the airflow there isnt much difference n the 3.0 running 7000, if you run it to 23lbs in the first place.
                  87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
                  current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    what's the compression on a gn motor?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      8:1
                      87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
                      current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        [quote]FlawleZ wrote:
                        Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
                        Water cooling is not good? :shock:
                        It's not that its "not good' per se, but more so its easier and less cumbersome t delete them when you pull/replace your turbo. If you have sufficient oil flow, its usually just as efficient.
                        water cooled turbos are better than oil only. More of a pain in the ass? Yes, but I'm sure everyone will agree with me that keeping an engine cool is a good thing. especially your oil.

                        In short water cooled turbos are better for your oil.
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          [quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=FlawleZ]
                          Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
                          Water cooling is not good? :shock:
                          It's not that its "not good' per se, but more so its easier and less cumbersome t delete them when you pull/replace your turbo. If you have sufficient oil flow, its usually just as efficient.
                          water cooled turbos are better than oil only. More of a pain in the ass? Yes, but I'm sure everyone will agree with me that keeping an engine cool is a good thing. especially your oil.

                          In short water cooled turbos are better for your oil.
                          I would have to agree, but only if you run cheap oil. For any high quality dino oil, you would need a lot of heat over a long period of time to cause it to coke up. In short, you would need overly high temperatures or highly used oil.

                          For high end synthetics, they practically never reach that point under any kind of use. Their flashpoint is simply too high. If they have, you might have serious engine problems that need to be addressed anyway.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Jason84NA2T wrote: I would have to agree, but only if you run cheap oil. For any high quality dino oil, you would need a lot of heat over a long period of time to cause it to coke up. In short, you would need overly high temperatures or highly used oil.

                            For high end synthetics, they practically never reach that point under any kind of use. Their flashpoint is simply too high. If they have, you might have serious engine problems that need to be addressed anyway.
                            Agreed, Turbo manufacturers primarly use the water jacket on thier Turbos because ; people are stupid, They put the cheapest crap oil in thier cars and dont allow any cool down time before turning off thier car so instead of relying on the consumer to prevent oil chocking the center section they took care of it themselves.
                            2005 whore magnet

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X