How Texas_Ace Swapped a VG30ET to a VG33ET! Complete Writeup

• Texas_Ace
    Texas_Ace

Andrew84zx wrote: where in texas are you
    I am in DFW.
    When Guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • SATAN
    SATAN

[quote]Texas_Ace wrote:
    Originally posted by Careless
    very informative post. glad you came here to share. i should have gotten the z31 crank out of my engine earlier and used all that stuff, but too late.

I hope the nitriding i did was worth the extra hardness.

and that VG30 came apart like a casting block. LOL
    The way i look at it is this, if you are doing this swap, there is a 90% chance you have a VG30 of some kind already. And no matter what you have to remove the VG33 crank wether you machine it or swap it. So i see no reason to go to all the extra work of making the VG33 work vs just swapping cranks.

But it can be done and should work fine, just a lot of extra work and $$.

By "nitriding" I assume you mean some form of cryo freezing? that should indeed help you out if you are going for the big numbers. It REALLY does add a LOT of streangth. Years ago when this was new a friend of mine and me sent in some disposable razors to be frozen, those things were no longer disposable, they lasted longer then the big $$$ razors you can get (this was a common example they were using back then to show it works BTW) they also used panty hose, supposedly it lasted 5x longer after being frozen. Never tried that one though…lol
    The nitride he is talking about is from him having to remove too much material from the crank. This will create a soft spot where bearings sit causing extremely fast wear. In order to make it suitable to be a journal of some kind again, you have to have re nitride it.

"Nitriding is a chemical hardening process in which the part is heated in a furnace, the oxygen is vacuumed out, and nitrogen is introduced which penetrates the entire surface. The depth of hardness is dependent upon the time the crankshaft is exposed to the gas. Typically, a nitrided crankshaft will have a hardness depth of about .010 - .030. Nitriding is a low heat process compared to Tuftriding, but it shares the advantage of avoiding the introduction of localized stress zones as in induction hardening."
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.
  • Texas_Ace
    Texas_Ace

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=Texas_Ace]
    Originally posted by Careless
    very informative post. glad you came here to share. i should have gotten the z31 crank out of my engine earlier and used all that stuff, but too late.

I hope the nitriding i did was worth the extra hardness.

and that VG30 came apart like a casting block. LOL
    The way i look at it is this, if you are doing this swap, there is a 90% chance you have a VG30 of some kind already. And no matter what you have to remove the VG33 crank wether you machine it or swap it. So i see no reason to go to all the extra work of making the VG33 work vs just swapping cranks.

But it can be done and should work fine, just a lot of extra work and $$.

By "nitriding" I assume you mean some form of cryo freezing? that should indeed help you out if you are going for the big numbers. It REALLY does add a LOT of streangth. Years ago when this was new a friend of mine and me sent in some disposable razors to be frozen, those things were no longer disposable, they lasted longer then the big $$$ razors you can get (this was a common example they were using back then to show it works BTW) they also used panty hose, supposedly it lasted 5x longer after being frozen. Never tried that one though…lol
    The nitride he is talking about is from him having to remove too much material from the crank. This will create a soft spot where bearings sit causing extremely fast wear. In order to make it suitable to be a journal of some kind again, you have to have re nitride it.

"Nitriding is a chemical hardening process in which the part is heated in a furnace, the oxygen is vacuumed out, and nitrogen is introduced which penetrates the entire surface. The depth of hardness is dependent upon the time the crankshaft is exposed to the gas. Typically, a nitrided crankshaft will have a hardness depth of about .010 - .030. Nitriding is a low heat process compared to Tuftriding, but it shares the advantage of avoiding the introduction of localized stress zones as in induction hardening."
    Ah, i see. I have heard of the process just never really heard of it being used.
  • enjoyrth
    enjoyrth

Nice post, especially for a newbie! I remember doing this swap a few years ago and it would have been nice to have a post like this around. I had to PM around to get the info I needed :lol:

440whp on pump fuel and the STOCK MAF
  • xenonxiii
    xenonxiii

This has been added to Xenonz31.com as well as the VG33 info. Thank you to Texas_Ace and 88sinZ for providing the Information.
  • Texas_Ace
    Texas_Ace

enjoyrth wrote: Nice post, especially for a newbie! I remember doing this swap a few years ago and it would have been nice to have a post like this around. I had to PM around to get the info I needed :lol:
    Well i am only a newbie in the world of z-cars. I have had a number of project cars before this but thanks, i am very happy with the results.

Only problem is i went so far over budget i might have to sell the car if buissness doesn't pick up :-(
  • Texas_Ace
    Texas_Ace

xenonxiii wrote: This has been added to Xenonz31.com as well as the VG33 info. Thank you to Texas_Ace and 88sinZ for providing the Information.
    Glad i could help!
  • KENLUDE97
    KENLUDE97

Are the pics not working for anyone else?
  • Texas_Ace
    Texas_Ace

KENLUDE97 wrote: Are the pics not working for anyone else?
    Work fine for me, go back to the page and press crtl+F5, see if they load then.
  • KENLUDE97
    KENLUDE97

Ahhh the firewall here at work flags the site as "internet auctions" That is why i can not see them. I will have to look when i get home.
  • Axel kain
    Axel kain

I was wondering how long it would take to wind up here!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic
  • Texas_Ace
    Texas_Ace

Axel kain wrote: I was wondering how long it would take to wind up here!
    LOL, yeah after i posted it on Youtube i got a ton of PM's asking questions and telling me to put the write up on this or that site.

Thanks again for all the help you gave me during this and are giving me working out other bugs BTW!
  • SATAN
    SATAN

[quote]Texas_Ace wrote:
    Originally posted by enjoyrth
    Nice post, especially for a newbie! I remember doing this swap a few years ago and it would have been nice to have a post like this around. I had to PM around to get the info I needed :lol:
    Well i am only a newbie in the world of z-cars. I have had a number of project cars before this but thanks, i am very happy with the results.

Only problem is i went so far over budget i might have to sell the car if buissness doesn't pick up :-(
    Don't do it… It is one of those things that you will regret doing for a long time. Tough it out man.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.
  • Texas_Ace
    Texas_Ace

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=Texas_Ace]
    Originally posted by enjoyrth

Don't do it… It is one of those things that you will regret doing for a long time. Tough it out man.
    Oh, i really don't want to but the simple fact is i prefer little things like, eletricity, water, a house, you know little things like that, more then a even this car lol.

Unless sales pick up i will be forced to sell it weather i want to or not. Lets hope they pick up!
  • Axel kain
    Axel kain

glad I could help ya out tho! hope things pick up for you!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic