Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a set of R34 GT-Turbo calipers that requier the use of a 310mm x 30mm rotor from the factory. Would this addaptor kit be a better setup? Im only asking because my rotors cost ~$250 just for a stock front set.

Comment

• That kit Inq posted only appears to contain rotors and brackets for $550, you can bet the rotors are the biggest cost, and you have thicker rotors... I'd say no

Comment

• G-E wrote: That kit Inq posted only appears to contain rotors and brackets for $550, you can bet the rotors are the biggest cost, and you have thicker rotors... I'd say no
        The Kits includes:

Qty 2 - 12.19" Ultra light HP Wilwood Rotors

Qty 2 - Wilwood Aluminum Rotor Hats

Qty 2 - Caliper Relocation brackets

Qty 10 - Z32 300zx rear lug studs (replacement studs for front lugs studs)
        '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
        PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Comment

• Anyone who's able to fabricate brackets to use larger calipers with the brake rotors I'm producing is welcome, R32 GT-R calipers will work if you like the NISSAN printed on them

For the less picky, porsche/corvette/ferrari/jaguar etc... all have calipers that would work, just make sure you get one fairly cheap to rebuild with good pad selection

http://z31performance.com/showthread...on-turbo-hubs-)

Comment

• Ok sounds like a plan. Guess im sticking with the r34 fotors. Aw well no biggiey.

Comment

• Question .. ?

Can someone post a photo or photos .. Of the 26mm and the 30mm z32 calipers together or side by side?

Edit: Ok, I did a google. Correct me if I'm wrong (please).

The difference (aside I guess in materials. The 30mm was available in both aluminum and iron) is due to the "rotor thickness" the calipers could accommodate. A 30mm BBK "may" accommodate. 26mm rotor (with a spacer?) but a 26mm set up would not work with a 30mm rotor?

Comment

• Correct to a point quiz. The 26mm Aluminum can be opened up with a dremel to clear a 30mm rotor.
                DD:
                86 Black Turbo 5spd
                The Fallen:
                84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
                Parting Currently:
                86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
                Garage Sale

Comment

• MADMIKE wrote: Correct to a point quiz. The 26mm Aluminum can be opened up with a dremel to clear a 30mm rotor.
                  OK .. thanks. I didn't think of that.

So which (if appropriate) is better?

1- Modify (opened up) a 26mm aluminum (only available in aluminum, right) to accomodate a 30mm rotor.

2- Add spacer (?) for a 26mm rotor to the 30mm aluminum or iron caliper? I'm presuming that the mounting points of the 30mm caliper are the same for aluminum and iron versions.

Comment

• Mounting should be the same on all 3.

Never use 26mm rotors with 30mm calipers, they pistons can push out of the caliper body.
                    DD:
                    86 Black Turbo 5spd
                    The Fallen:
                    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
                    Parting Currently:
                    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
                    Garage Sale

Comment

• If you don't have 30mm calipers and don't want to buy another set, you can clearance the caliper to accommodate 30mm rotors. This is what I did and Taris Blue did. I also clearanced m calipers for 12.75" rotors.
                      Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                      Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                      Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

• i was also going to do the same, but I was going to do it by separating the caliper halves to get the grinder in there with more precision/less in the way.

one of the bolts was slightly twisting rather than coming loose, so i decided to just use 87T rotors instead this time around. I'll probably upgrade at a later date.

that's why I didn't mind the 26mm calipers, they're essentially just 30's with more material where the rotor is.

Comment

• I might be selling a surplus set of 32mm GT-R calipers soon... I have a full set coming I need the rears for my racecar

Comment

• As some have noticed have been toying with many options including G-E's components (BTW good to see G-E trying to innovate and offer new solutions for our old z's)
                            I was going s14 hubs in order to get g37 rotors and calipers.
                            With all the alignment issues mentioned have ditched s14 front setup and gone back to z31 s3 front hubs/knuckles.
                            While late z31 seems to be more compatible with newer gear.

The big question was how compatible...
                            Well it seems very compatible.
                            2008 gear on a 1989 with such ease, that's crazy!

I had g37s rotors & calipers along with an adapter plate to fit the gear onto s14 suspension.
                            Unbolted and bolted onto z31 s3 gear almost effortlessly with the s14 adapter. Used 3 washers between caliper and adapter bracket to push caliper forward and centre on rotor, but that's it.
                            Going to measure the same on s14 gear against z31 setup I now have but it looks insanely close.

Anyway thought I would post this update & images for others to reference..
                            The image with coilover is left hand front s14 gear test fitted in z31, other is z31 right hand side front gear test assembly. Waiting on stance tubes so can weld on coilovers.

This is an Australian build so getting parts from USA has been a pain but well worth it. Here is my build if anyone's interested..
                            http://www.zdriver.com.au/index.php/...__80#entry2053
                            Love z31's as much as I do? Check out my build: http://www.zdriver.com.au/index.php/...__80#entry2219

Comment

Working...
                            X