Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey just a quick question and didn't want to start a whole new thread for it:

Will the late two piston calipers/brake setups clear 14" steel wheels?
    irony.cc

Comment

My stock brakes don't clear 14" steel wheels...
      Well, rear ones don't, didn't actually try the fronts. (I forgot front brakes are smaller)

Comment

Mitchd03 wrote: How similar are 280zx brakes to an 84 n/a Z31's?
        Looking at the images of brake upgrades offered by Arizona Z car for the 280zx, they share the same basic hub design on the front. Anyone got a 280zx and a 4 stud z31?

This is the image that has made me curious:

Further investigation appears that vented disk 4 runner 4 pot brake calipers and n/a z31 rotors work together on a s130, with a spacer between the hub and brake rotor... So the other way around must be true, just with a spacer on the caliper instead.

I think I'm on to something here.
        I can verify 4runner 4piston calipers will NOT work on a Z31, the mounting points do not line up anywhere near close. If they did, I'd have them on my Z31 /w the stock Z31 rotors (which are the proper sized rotors for 4Runner calipers)
        - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

do you mean spacing-wise (distance between the holes) or offset-wise (caliper centered on the hub)?
          irony.cc

Comment

Whewww... so many different brake ideas going on around here! lol

I've read some talk of machining front hubs.. technically, I should be able to turn my 85T front hub into something useable for a slip on rotor... correct?

and since most of these posts are pretty old, and spread all over, its getting a little hard for to extract all this info into what I actually need... pardon my ingnorance!

What I "think" I've gathered, is that I can machine my hubs (87-89T is a little hard to find here in any so cal wrecking yard), and run a Z32 rotor and caliper, or even a 350z setup, and all I will have to do, is shim the correct caliper spacing and trim the rock guard (already running 17's and 1" spacers).

The rear is a little trickier though.. and since swapping the rear arms or subframe is more of a pita, than fabbing new caliper mounts, is there a prefered caliper for a stock 85T rotor?

If I have anything wrong, PLEASE enlighten me.

Thanks!

Comment

PurePontiacKid wrote: do you mean spacing-wise (distance between the holes) or offset-wise (caliper centered on the hub)?
              Distance between the holes.
              - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

Then that means Z31 calipers won't work on S130 strut tubes uin :soupir

oh, and something to think about, anyone try Infinity Q45 calipers? they're two-piston and are the wrong spacing for S130 struts, so maybe they'd fit on Z31's?
                irony.cc

Comment

^Yes, early (G50) q45 calipers bolt on. J30 calipers bolt on. Both are twin piston.
                  Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                  Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                  Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Re:

Darthpaul wrote: Hi guys, new poster here. This is the 350z brake rotor kit from SPL on my 87 turbo. The calipers required 7.5mm spacing to center. The brackets are for an S14. The Z32 brackets would require less spacing. The brake pads are above the edge of the rotor by about 3mm.
                    Anyone have any information on the offset between the z31 to s13, s14 and z32

All that I really know is that there is a positive offset between the z31 and the above car where shims are needed and that the z32 has a lesser offset. I am just guessing on the s13 since they use z32 calipers as upgrades as well.

Any info would be appreciated. I am still trying to explore other braking kit options.
                    86na - BlueZ
                    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                    85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

Just figured I'd add this, maybe it'll help someone in the future. I've heard of some people getting the z32 1 1/16 master cylinder with a flare behind the plug, while most have no flare and either have to install one or use a T.

I just got a CARDONE Select master cylinder for 1990 300zx Twin Turbo from Rockauto.com and there is a flare behind the center plug. i can't guarantee all of them are like this, but, hey, it's worth putting up I think.
                      Originally posted by bronzemfp
                      Passengers should be confined to the trunk/hatch area. properly secured and only given enough air to survive in a sedated state for the duration of the trip.

Comment

Re: Re:

[quote]adamvann3 wrote:
                        Originally posted by Darthpaul
                        Hi guys, new poster here. This is the 350z brake rotor kit from SPL on my 87 turbo. The calipers required 7.5mm spacing to center. The brackets are for an S14. The Z32 brackets would require less spacing. The brake pads are above the edge of the rotor by about 3mm.

Anyone have any information on the offset between the z31 to s13, s14 and z32

All that I really know is that there is a positive offset between the z31 and the above car where shims are needed and that the z32 has a lesser offset. I am just guessing on the s13 since they use z32 calipers as upgrades as well.

Any info would be appreciated. I am still trying to explore other braking kit options.
                        I will try to measure the distance of the long part of the "L" on the bracket. The Z32 style brackets look to have visibly less offset, which would be better. A measurement of the Z32 type would be neat. The JSK brackets look like the slickest setup for this type of deal. Don't know if he still makes them. Some folks don't like the design of them though....don't know why......
                        Someone(not my broke ass) needs to do the Concept Z 370z sport brake kit on a Z31.......

Comment

Thought I would post this up since I looked into it heavy when researching a bbk to go with.

Z1's Brembo Brake kit for the s13

http://www.z1motorsports.com/240sx/prod ... ts_id=4176

Simple bolt and go (with shimming of course).

Facts:
                          $698.00
                          Rotor -- 305mm in diameter only 22mm wide
                          Caliper -- Brand new brembo 4 pots

Now I never took the time to ask them about piston sizes ect... since the rotor width is weak sauce. If these were anything close to 30mm I would have probably gave them a shot. Z1 just mounted these on an s13 that sees street use and got favorable results. They have not yet been on the track but looking to do so soon.

Maybe someone will give them a shot.

86na - BlueZ
                          Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                          85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

ZMIKEMAN wrote: Just a quick post to point some things out I found in my Z32 Swap (30mm Aluminum Calipers, OEM Z32 Rotors, Z32 SS Lines).

1. Early z31 dust shield won't work with the later model hubs
                            Maybe something was said about this and I probably missed it but the inner dia of the brake dust shields are to small for the later model hubs to work. You can bore this out or remove them, otherwise your bearings won't seat properly and you wouldnt want to drive it like this.
                            I'm pretty sure this is the only place I've ever seen this posted, so I just wanted to make sure. Can anyone else that's completed this swap confirm this information? Even Jason's site doesn't make reference to removing the dust shields.
                            86' Turbo GLL

Comment

I can confirm that the 87-89 turbo hubs will rub on early spindles/brake dust shields. However it will not cause the bearing to not seat properly, it will rub. I simply removed my shields. Also if you upgrade to z32 brakes you will have to cut your dust shields to clear the calipers.
                              Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                              Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                              Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Racinjitter wrote: I can confirm that the 87-89 turbo hubs will rub on early spindles/brake dust shields. However it will not cause the bearing to not seat properly, it will rub. I simply removed my shields. Also if you upgrade to z32 brakes you will have to cut your dust shields to clear the calipers.
                                +1 This is true. I had to cut off the whole shield to seat the 87-89 hubs on my 86T spindles for my Wilwoods.
                                Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
                                1986 300zx Turbo
                                2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
                                1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

Working...
                                X