Powertrix Z31 RT Coilovers Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powertrix Z31 RT Coilovers Review

Hey, so I've never really been active on the forums but a few of you know me on facebook. I noticed a lot of excitement towards the introduction of Powertrix coilovers, so I want to share my experience with you all.

A little background:

"Powertrix was started in 2001 out of a childhood dream. The founder, Charles Park had always wanted to extend the performance envelope of the Nissan 300XZ (aka Z32) as a young man. That dream became a reality when Charles decided to leave the corporate world and devote full time to his true passion.
    At Powertrix, we research and develop every performance product for your Nissan 300ZX. Through research and development, with many components designed and fabricated to our specifications. We spend numerous hours devoted to development time, researching, and developing a product before we let it lose for testing on the track, road course, and street.All Powertrix products are tested on the track, road course, and street before we give it our approval. We can lay claim to the fact every Powertrix component ever sold has been thoroughly tested and meets our high standard or performance and reliability. If we won't put it our Nissan, we won't put it on yours."

How I came by these coilovers:

I've mentioned my request for coilovers to Charles from Powertrix (who runs my local Z club) for some time now, and during the last group buy, he was able to manufacture coilovers to the specs of my car. I had Road Track 9k 7k coilovers made for my Z31. The reason I went with these coilovers was due to being familiar with them as I've ridden in many Z32s, and even a G37 equipped with these. They ride better than stock on these cars having a comfortable ride, and yet seem to outperform any other suspension setups I've experienced.

So I received my coilovers and went straight into the installation, and Charles was able to do the welding of my front coilovers. They were basically a bolt-on affair.

The Powertrix Z31 coilovers have 15-way adjustable damping, adjustable ride height ranging from near stock, to just about scraping the ground, a front inverted monotube design, and front upper camber plates. This coilover design has the essentials for a proper Z31 setup.

Sorry about the cell phone pictures by the way!

I immediately noticed that these are quality pieces, and spent a while staring them down, looking for any imperfection, these things came to me spotless.

I had my front tubes welded by Powertrix, and received very clean welds!

The installation was a direct bolt in, and I mated the front coilovers with ASCO bumpsteer spacers. The whole ordeal was quick and easy, even being the first time I've really taken apart suspension.

Here's the end result, and I had a good amount of room to go lower!

I've driven these things for around a month now, and the handling is superb. It's basically like a completely different car and grips like crazy. My ride quality is amazing too considering that the Z32 is recommended to use 8k 6k, and I'm running 9k 7k on a car that's significantly lighter. The damping has a wide range of adjust-ability so I had plenty of room to adjust it for a proper street setup. The car is planted and smooth, tight over bumps, and solid through corners. I'm not in any position to compare these to Stance since I've never ridden in another Z31 on coilovers, however comparing these to other types of cars on coilovers, Powertrix has had the best handling/ride quality.

Dont give up, build your dream Z

Wantttttt.

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

Comment

88Turbozx;315804 wrote: I'm not in any position to compare these to Stance since I've never ridden in another Z31 on coilovers, however comparing these to other types of cars on coilovers, Powertrix has had the best handling/ride quality.
      Because most people buy without really understanding what they need or how to dial them in I bet

Comment

With lots of room to go lower hey? Hmmmm lol

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
        1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

DeleriousZ;316027 wrote: With lots of room to go lower hey? Hmmmm lol
          It's not low until the tires come off the ground? hehe

Comment

Whats the price? Looked on the website and didnt see anything.
            89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
            87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
            07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

Comment

Black 89Turbo;316049 wrote: Whats the price? Looked on the website and didnt see anything.
              http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Z31-Coilovers

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
              1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

They look nice, but Im more than happy with my stance setup.

Comment

DeleriousZ;316027 wrote: With lots of room to go lower hey? Hmmmm lol
                  Well for the rear's I'm deleting the top seat and using a spacer for a quarter-half an inch lower, and I already lowered the rear about an inch from what it's at in these pictures, and have around half an inch of adjustment left. The front when I was at the lip of my rims on the fender and the pinch weld on the top of my tire, I had around 2 inches of adjustment left if I removed the adjustment tube. Here is the real thing though, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO GO THAT LOW?

Comment

Must tuck wheel on 18's.

1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

88Turbozx;316061 wrote: Here is the real thing though, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO GO THAT LOW?
                      Form. extralettersbecauselameupgrade

Comment

nissanxrma;316095 wrote: form. Extralettersbecauselameupgrade
                        mooooooooaaaaaarrrrrrrrr low
                        - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

Oh, and right now my catalytic converter's heat shield is an inch off the ground I've gotten stuck a few times today entering parking lots, etc.

Comment

88Turbozx;316209 wrote: Oh, and right now my catalytic converter's heat shield is an inch off the ground I've gotten stuck a few times today entering parking lots, etc.
                            My 87 got stuck on my driveway with STs... -.-
                            - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

I thought that's what horsepowers were for, getting unstuck :P

Comment

Working...
                              X