I love removing butyl tape!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love removing butyl tape!

Not really. I read Acetone works well on removing it, but I'm finding it isn't dissolving the tape as much as the paint behind it. And I'm sure when I move to clean the tail lights acetone will be a no-go (it'll dissolve the plastic). Any thoughts on the best way to remove this sticky rubbery goo? I'm stripping the car for a full paint job, so the tape I'm replacing is around both quarter windows and the tail lights. (back glass will remain in place-- I'm too afraid of needing the last one on rockauto to the tune of $500 if I remove. Front windshield is going (cracked anyway-2nd time) with all of it's associated j-channels-- any suggestions on replacement options will be welcome. I'll be blacking out all chrome trim too.

Searching the forums I've seen:

WD-40
    Laquer thinner

--------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**
    Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
    '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
    '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
    '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.
    '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Remove as much as you can with a plastic scraper and then wipe off what's left with mineral spirits.

The mineral spirits will not harm the paint or the plastic. The trick is that it scrapes up easier when it is cold
    but wipes up better with the mineral spirits when it is warm. Scrape in the morning, wipe in the afternoon.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Goo Gone will literally melt the butyl away and leave a nice citrus smell in the car. Scraping tool to get rid of the big gobs. Spray away glass cleaner (sold by Wal Mart) is great for cleanup and leaves no residue. You'll use a lot of paper towels though.

Comment

WD-40 is what I use. Spray on, wipe off, then follow up with some all purpose cleaner when it's bare.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Mineral spirits is clearly a winner on this. 690CFFB6-2425-47CB-86E4-812FA2643277.jpeg Although it does look like there may be some metal bumping needed. Thoughts?

DA7A50F4-3C1A-4D2C-B2FD-AAFBD2404221.jpeg just be sure to grab the correct container when you’re working. One for me and one for the car might get complicated. 565D686A-73F7-421F-B91E-242AE6662FCD.jpeg
          --------------
          Legal stuff:
          **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
          '00 Corolla-- kids car.

Comment

• Dunkine
            Dunkine commented
            Editing a comment
            Does the other side look the same? Doesn't look like it would cause an issue.

• mwolvinm
            mwolvinm commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't pulled the other side yet. Probably be this weekend before I can get to it. I'll repost what I find.

He's got the can of Miller High Life next to the Mineral Spirits. If I didn't know any better, I would think I was watching the Red Green show.

Comment

well, I got the driver side off yesterday and it's definitely straighter under there. I think that side may have been leaking as the butyl tape on the top was sticking to the inner finisher instead of the metal for about 4".
            IMG_4043[1].JPG

I guess I'll try bumping the other side gently with the hammer and dolly and see what happens. I noticed the 2 spot welds next to the bend feel like they aren't straight either, but in the opposite direction. Makes me wonder what happened with a previous owner...

--------------
            Legal stuff:
            **Nissan Employee**

not legal stuff:
            '00 Corolla-- kids car.

Comment

Working...
            X