1986 analog dash tachometer, speedometer, and odometer stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 analog dash tachometer, speedometer, and odometer stopped working

I bought my 1986 z31 a while back and the tachometer wasnt working to start. The speedometer and the odometer were working but the speedometer slowly started to fail and eventually completely. The odometer seemed to just stop working one day as i didnt notice intermittent problems. I checked all of my fuses and relays, all the physical wiring and the connections and mechanisms within the dash itself but nothing seemed to be eccessively corroded or unconnected.

idk what it could be and now my whole dash is taken apart and i dont want to go through the hassel of putting it all back together if i still need to access something

That's got a Speedo Cable right? The speed sensor is in the cluster on those. On page EL-91 of the Service Manual, it shows how to troubleshoot it using a small screwdriver and an ohmmeter:

If you don't have a service manual, you can view the Electrical section on Xenonzcar.com:

http://xenonzcar.com/z31/FSM/1986/EL.php

& go to page EL-91.

Comment

• Z31chuki
      Z31chuki commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you man. i have the service manual downloaded and ill be sure to check that out soon. i already put it all back together haha but i didn't even remember to reconnect the speedo cable anyways so ill be getting back in to it either way lol ill try to let you know if i got it figured out
Working...
X