Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's discovery 89 Turbo fun with Rats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's discovery 89 Turbo fun with Rats!

Well I knew going in there were critter problems. In the back they had a field day with tail light section. I mean, not just chewed, full course meal missing a few feet of about 6 wires.

I got some of their previous hack mechanic stuff undone and gave it a shot trying to start, nothing. Checked all fuses, relays, links. Since no start, I figured I would check what did work. Lights, wipers, and Ac fan came on fine, but I could here what sounded like debris and figures they made a nest was in the fan blower. At this point I was hoping to not have to pull the dash.

As I was removing the ECU I could see little pieces of wire sitting on top of it. Sure enough the main harness plug was full throttle dinner! They even managed to chew one of the 10 gauge wires straight through. Hardest part is they chewed some of the wires right to the plastic.

Hard to tell from the pics but at least 12 wires.
    Jeff
    71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Damn! Did they just go over the harnesses or did they make meals of the carpet and trim too?

Comment

Man I was so worried I was brining rats back to my house. Huge nest in the back. I threw out most of the interior minus the seats. They even built nest under each seat. I'm really hoping there are no other nest under the dash.

I filled a 4 gallon vac just vacuuming what I couldn't pick up by hand.

I was was able to source a non- turbo harness like above today. Looks like I can source most of the wires from the NA one.

Nissan did a great job with this section of the harness. It all comes apart and I can even remove each pin individually.

Whats crazy is the only opening was the removed rear side marker light.
      Jeff
      71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

There are wiring differences between the two harnesses. It won't be a plug and play thing.. Speaking from experience on that one.. I had an 88na and tried putting a 88t harness in. Definitely no fun. You may want to try to compare both side by side to be sure each wire goes to the right place. IIRC i had 4 or 5 pins needing swapped around to just even the the car to run, and then i had issues with the dash as well. It took a lot of reading the wiring diagrams to try to get things straight.

Project Black Betty

Comment

Yup! Did that first thing, but thanks. I looked at the wiring diagram before hand. Most of the colors of the missing / chewed wires matched. The big thing for me was having the pin in the socket with a length of wire that was solderable.

The three turbo parts cars I know of, one went to the crusher Saturday, one guy only wanted to pull the entire harness and sell and the other I'm not sure if it is even around.
          Jeff
          71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Not sure where you're at, but there is a turbo part out on CL in the Nashville area. It was updated yesterday. It's not my ad and I don't know the person.
            --------------
            Legal stuff:
            **Nissan Employee**
            Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
            '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
            '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
            '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
            '00 Corolla-- kids car.
            '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

Originally posted by mwolvinm View Post
              Not sure where you're at, but there is a turbo part out on CL in the Nashville area. It was updated yesterday. It's not my ad and I don't know the person.
              I'm in Orlando. Thanks for the lead. I found out the turbo car I pulled the motor from is still available locally. I'm going to try and splice the one I have first. If that doesn't work I'll have to get another harness.
              Jeff
              71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Test. Curious if Location shows up.

I guess location doesn't show up unless you look at someone's profile.
                Jeff
                71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Sucess! It runs. I'm tired of soldering. I was on my knees the entire time. That sounds bad! There was some really nasty gas in the car.
                  Jeff
                  71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

• Dunkine
                    Dunkine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grats!! Where you able to use the N/A Harness pieces?

Yes about 18 or so wires. I cut as much as I could from the NA car. A lot of the wires were the same about 7 or so I got close on the main colors.

Now I need a water pump, timing belt, IAC, rad hoses, power steering hoses and a shock. I thought I could get away without waterpump until it started leaking.

I want to get it running and driving for fun. Good practice for my bad motor in my 88. Maybe an autcross car? Who knows. If I go that route I'll want to swap to 5 speed.

Its amazing how nice my one owner 88 300zxt is in comparison. Rust isn't all that bad on the 89, just in bad locations.
                  Jeff
                  71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X