Updated Transistor ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Transistor ??

I thought I read the Z31at some point got an updated transistor. Is this it? Are these better or same as the PRW-2 upgrade? This came of an 89 NA.
    Jeff
    71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

I upgraded the one like that in my 88T to the PRW-2 style. Not sure if the internals are different but went ahead and did it anyway as the PRW-2 modules are easy to get at the pick-n-pull for cheap.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Hard to believe the tiny PRW-2 costs $151 new from Nissan. It appears to be the same exact part number for cars like the Maxima, Altima, and Pathfinder.

Comment

That's what my 89 had on it. I upgraded it to the PRW-2 also.

Not too bad of a list price for a brand new from nissan ignition control module. Get a wholesale account there and it will slash those prices. I got all mine used for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmlegends View Post
          Hard to believe the tiny PRW-2 costs $151 new from Nissan. It appears to be the same exact part number for cars like the Maxima, Altima, and Pathfinder.
          It's a power transistor, they don't come too cheap. Even Chinese ones are pretty expensive as new parts.

Comment

The ones i get from the pick-n-pull often fall into the cracks of my tool bag and can sometimes go unnoticed until
            i get home. shame really. They're usually just priced as a "relay" and around 5 bucks.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I tend to just dump my bag and put all the little “”””” ‘do dads’ on the counter. Typically they only mark the big stuff.
              Jeff
              71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

I was wondering if anyone would know if the power transistors are interchangeable over the years? Hopefully I'm not thread jacking, I figured this was related.
                I have an '86 na that I believe has a bad transistor - I don't have any spare parts so I was considering buying the newer version but I wasn't sure if they worked differently or just had different plugs or something simple. I'd really appreciate any info or advice before moving ahead.

Comment

http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/prw2.html

They are usually like 15$ on ebay at this point. Switch two wires per the linked guide, plug is the same. Very simple.

Comment

Its plug and play at this point no need to even try to fool with the harness.

https://z31parts.bigcartel.com/produ...n-play-adapter
                    Chicks dig me, rust fears me.

Comment

perfect! that's exactly what I was looking for - thanx

Comment

Originally posted by mk1turbo View Post
                        perfect! that's exactly what I was looking for - thanx
                        Yep I got the same one.
                        Jeff
                        71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Thanx again - I found a good used PRW-2 on ebay for $10 and installed it already. Unfortunately, I still do not have spark (or more so, its inconsistent - sparks occasionally for a bit and then stops), which seems the same as it was w/ the original transistor...

Comment

Working...
                          X