Factory Radio not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Radio not working

86 factory radio will not turn on. Checked all fuses and even the little one on the back of the radio, unplugged all the wiring and plugged it back in and still nothing. Any advice? I hope its not dead

Factory stereos regularly suffer various failures from aged internal components, usually leaky capacitors. I have several on the shelf all with different symptoms. They can be repaired but the disassembly is pretty invasive if you don't know what you are doing and what to look for. I am a competent mechanical technician and my first attempt resulted in letting out of the magic smoke.

If you have a place in your area that services vintage electronics, they should be well familiar with devices with dried up capacitors, it is quite common. Nobody yet that i have heard of has identified any place that offers refurbishment on these, and if i am mistaken, somebody please correct me

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the reply. doesn't look as though it will be as easy as i was hoping. I was hoping to keep it factory but its looking less and less likely.

Comment

Unless your doing everything in your power to preverse the original look/feel pitch that thing out and buy something modern. I am not sure how yours lasted as long as it did. I had huge issues with mine under warranty which Nissan replaced several times. Then it finally bought the farm in 1997 and I put a Kenwood CD changer deck in, which was replaced 10 years later with Alpine deck. You need to buy a harness and if you want an amp you may need to do some rewiring. But it was totally worth that investment, I have great Kenwood speakers (they were the best in 97') with Alpine AMP and bazook tube (that was the best in the 97' timeframe) and there is simply no comparison.

If you are dead set on the factory unti you can find one that is guy probably has one

http://www.300zxpartsforyou.com/

Comment

Working...
        X