Starting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Issues

The other day I drove to the store and everything was fine. When I tried to start the car to leave there was nothing. The lights in the dash came on and the fuel pump started making noise but there was no attempt to crank and no click. After getting it towed home I got under and saw the tab for the ignition switch signal had broken off from the solenoid. This seemed like an open and shut case. I bought a new solenoid and installed it. When I went to start there was nothing again.

I have tested my connections several times. I have >12v to the constant power terminal. I have >12v to the ignition tab when the key is turned by an assistant. When I jumper the 12v constant to the ignition tab with a screwdriver the starter works but nothing when I turn the key.

The plunger is hooked through the lever correctly and the spring is installed correctly also. I don't know why this would matter but just adding it for reference.

What am I missing?

Check your fusible links, not just for a blown fuse but for a corroded connector.

If the tab on the starter solenoid was corroded enough to break off, it could be likely there are other weak connections upstream.

Turn your FSM to EL-17 and study the scripture.

http://xenonzcar.com/z31/FSM/1986/EL.php

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Thanks I will try that out.

Comment

Turns out I didn't have the solenoid installed correctly. For any other noobs to working on cars, take the starter off before trying to install the solenoid. It makes the job so much easier and quicker plus you can see what you're doing.

I just took the whole thing off, took it apart, reinstalled the solenoid, went to advance to get it tested, it worked fine, bolted it back up and now it starts reliably.

Comment

Working...
        X