dropping the gas tank...need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropping the gas tank...need help

my z31 has some old, bad gas that i need to get out of the tank. ive never dropped a gas tank before and was wondering how difficult it is to do. before starting, i want to make sure i can do it and i have everything to do it. so what do i need to disconnect before actually removing the tank? do i need any special tools? any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

'86 NA2T: Cone filter, 3 in. turbo back, poly engine mounts, stock t3, tokico 5-ways, rattle canned engine bay, etc etc

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!"

If you are just draining the tank, there is no need to drop it.
    There is access to it through the hatch area floorboard, beneath the foam.

Before you proceed, it would be advisable to download the FSM and read it or get a haynes manual.

FSM's can be found on Xenon's site:
    http://www.xenonz31.com/reference.html

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

are you talking about where the fuel pump is located? just take the fuel pump out and syphen the bad gas out through that hole?

'86 NA2T: Cone filter, 3 in. turbo back, poly engine mounts, stock t3, tokico 5-ways, rattle canned engine bay, etc etc

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!"

Comment

Why use a siphon when you have a pump right there already?

Step 1
        Disconnect the fuel line from your fuel rail, you want the one coming off of the filter.

Step 2
        Extend that fuel line off of the filter with a barbed fitting and a long section of hose
        (it doesn't have to be fuel injection hose, just plain fuel line will work) Put the other
        end into a gas can or other suitable container.

Step 3

Turn the key to the on position. This will power the fuel pump and it will eventually empty
        the fuel tank into the gas can. Turn it off when it starts to sputter, meaning the tank is about empty.

Step 4

Either pull the pump and inspect the tank for any debris or crap OR reconnect the fuel line to the fuel
        rail and fill the tank with fresh gas.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I will give some advice on this as well..

When I bought my Z, it had been sitting for close to 7 years, with half a tank of gas still in it. A friend and I dropped the tank, but, I didn't think about flushing the fuel lines (rather stupid I know). So I was still running that bad gas that was sitting in the fuel lines, through the engine.

So, what I'd suggest is, after emptying the gas tank, put approx. gallons of gas in it, then remove the fuel line right before it hit the "track" to the fuel injectors, then crank it and let it flush all that bad fuel out. Then put some good injector cleaner in and you should be good to go!

EDIT: we posted at the same time. :nanan?re
          '84 Z31 Turbo
          '85 Z31 N/A parting out..

Comment

that is exactly what i needed to know! thanks for all the help!! :-D

Comment

My car had been sitting for over 6 years(87t) and I just got in it and drove it........started right up. It took about a day to burn through the bad/old gas of just drivin around town running errands.
              "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: Why use a siphon when you have a pump right there already?

Step 1
                Disconnect the fuel line from your fuel rail, you want the one coming off of the filter.

Step 2
                Extend that fuel line off of the filter with a barbed fitting and a long section of hose
                (it doesn't have to be fuel injection hose, just plain fuel line will work) Put the other
                end into a gas can or other suitable container.

Step 3

Turn the key to the on position. This will power the fuel pump and it will eventually empty
                the fuel tank into the gas can. Turn it off when it starts to sputter, meaning the tank is about empty.

Step 4

Either pull the pump and inspect the tank for any debris or crap OR reconnect the fuel line to the fuel
                rail and fill the tank with fresh gas.
                The problem with that is the fuel pump will only run for 5 seconds unless you start the engine, which you aren't going to do with the fuel line unhooked. Just sayin'.
                - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

Pull up carpet and foam.
                  Remove the big circle plate in floor.
                  Then remove fuel level sending unit.
                  Then insert a hose and syphon out the old gas.
                  Then reinstall everything and add new gas.
                  Remove fuel filter and attach hose to fuel line and insert other end into a clear bottle.
                  Have friend crank engine and watch the fuel come out into the bottle. Keep doing this until clear clean fuel comes out.
                  Install new fuel filter and reconnect line to fuel rail.
                  Then start engine and let idle till warm and then drive.
                  Done.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                  1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                  2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

well thanks for all the help. i just decided to drop the gas tank that way i could get every drop of gas out of it. it was a pain in the a** but man it made a HUGE difference! throttle response has greatly improved, idles much smoother, and just feels well...faster.

Comment

So I'm assuming from reading this that we don't have drain plugs like the Z32 do! Rats!
                      Jeff
                      71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JSM View Post
                        So I'm assuming from reading this that we don't have drain plugs like the Z32 do! Rats!
                        Only if you turn it upside down :P

Comment

Hehe!

I got it. I disconnected the line going into the rail, dumped it into a gas can, hardwired the pump and it took about 10 min. I only had about 3 gallons Of gas.
                          Jeff
                          71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X