Question on heads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on heads...

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I didn't find anything on it...

Okay, so I got the heads cleaned up on my '87 today (was overheated, and headgasket went before I bought it) Anyway, I ran a true bar and feeler gauge across the serface as outlined in a haynes manual.. Here's the problem...around the center combustion chambers (the void between it and the other two ) when going across at an angle, the passenger side is .005, and the drivers is .003-.004 . I know the specified max. is .004, but should I really be too worried about this?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,
    Sean
    Originally posted by bronzemfp
    Passengers should be confined to the trunk/hatch area. properly secured and only given enough air to survive in a sedated state for the duration of the trip.

If Nissan says .004 is the max, I would say it is a safe bet that .004 is in fact the max. You could machine them and compensate accordingly.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Is it going both ways at an angle? Is this issue only between bores... where the fire ring sits or gasket material?

I had one block deck surface that was about .005 and the gasket still seems to have sealed fine without decking it true. I know that's a thou over spec and is probably pushing it, but it worked for me. The head was dead on with less than .0015" across the whole thing though, if your head has any warpage greater than that I would be concerned.

Comment

Well, the warped area is on the heads between the combustion chambers where the gasket material would be. Otherwise, the heads are both true, with a .002 feeler gauge not being able to fit between the surface and the true bar.

So, I guess to make it easy, between combustion chambers where the gasket material would be, I am able to fit a .005 feeler gauge through with drag on the pass. side head and a .003 with a little drag on the drivers' side head.

Oh, and I'm generally VERY precise, and I usually wouldn't ask you all this question, but, I have been told by 3 different people (2 Auto. tech teachers, and a guy that one of the teacher's knows (who does head milling and the like at an automotive machine shop) that I should just go ahead and clean them up and install them...
        Originally posted by bronzemfp
        Passengers should be confined to the trunk/hatch area. properly secured and only given enough air to survive in a sedated state for the duration of the trip.

Comment

it will depend on the gasket used, some gaskets have better/additional sealing rings, others are just uniform and won't take up the slack

Comment

Just fix it. I you can't for whatever reason, just throw it on and hope for the best.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
            X