Replacement Power Steering Pump Inlet Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Power Steering Pump Inlet Hose

As we all know, most of the hoses in our 20+ year old Z's are rotten, cracked and leaky. For some time, I knew my power steering pump inlet hose was at this point and ready to snap in half as soon as I needed to move the PS pump in order to remove the PS belt.

To find a replacement, I first went to Nissan. They are asking ~$100 for a new hose, so I told kindly them they could keep it on the shelf for a little longer.
    I next went to Advance Auto Parts. Their system only shows regular, straight hose as a replacement. As I know, the bend in the hose is needed, otherwise straight hose will kink, starving the PS pump. So, I asked to look through their hose collection in the back, hoping to find something that matches the original hose. Here's what I found. Its for engine coolant, but I don't think that matters for this application. Anyways, it fits perfectly and only costs $8.

[strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

Nice find. Its looks almost exact.

Comment

that hose is supposed to be 15mm but good luck finding that

as long as it can take the pressure....

Comment

G-E wrote: that hose is supposed to be 15mm but good luck finding that

as long as it can take the pressure....
        There isn't any notable pressure on this hose. It feeds the PS fluid from the reservior to the pump.
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

That's good information to have! I was just thinking of replacing mine because it has a crack in it. $100 for a little molded hose? are they insane?

Comment

Working...
          X